RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

GOOD MORNING WE ARE WORKING ON A GEORGIE BOY MOTORHOMETHE…

Customer Question
GOOD MORNING WE ARE WORKING...
GOOD MORNING WE ARE WORKING ON A
GEORGIE BOY MOTORHOME
THE VN #4UZ6XFBA3YCG08912
GEORGIE BOY OCTOBER 19 1999
CUMMINS ENGINE
MY QUESTION WILL NOT TURN OFF ENGINE WITH KEY
NONE OF THE GAUGES ARE WORKING
JUST REPLACED THE VEHICLE DATA COMPUTER (VDCZ)
DIDN'T CHANGE ANYTHING
HELP PLEASE
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
5/20/2015
RV Mechanic: spankyjr1, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, RV Mechanic
Hi, my name is ***** ***** you for your question.
Any chance you had a rodent problem?
You say this here:
NONE OF THE GAUGES ARE WORKING
Is that also true with key on?
What modal Cummins?
Let me know
okay
on the vdc if we unplug the small plug with 10 pins above 3 and 4 air hose
far right side then we can turn off with ignition switch
the only way to kill ignition is this way or un hook the battery
no rodent problems at obvious
no gauges at anytime
Need engine modal please?
I need to know if its electronic engine that tells me where gages get their readings from.
Let me know
where do i find engine model number
Good morning to you too!
What name should I use?
Depends on engine modal,, either on valve cover or left side of front cover.
If it has a injection pump then its not a electronic engine
thanks
it is a in line six cylinder no injection pumpThanks Julia
oops it is a 24 valve cummins with a injection pump
sorryjulia
Thanks for info Julia.
I would still like you to go through what I typed just ignore how gages get there signal.
i have a bad hand so it takes me longer to type out.
That should mean its a electronic engine and the gages get there signal from engine computer,,the engine computer sends signal to Vehicle computer over the data connection which is a twisted pair of wires from engine to VDC,,,from VDC it goes to gages.
Okay engine stays running with key off,, 3 main possible causes,,stuck relay,,stuck solenoid,, direct short,, (possibly rodent issue).
First,, with engine running,,, key off,,, check all solenoids in engine area and see if both outer post have power,,if it does try tapping on solenoid,, sometimes they stick,,,if that does not kick out check the small wire terminal to see if it has power?
They can look like any of these below.
copy and paste link to open,, there is no tool bar for me to add links sorry.
https://www.google.com/search?q=12v+dc+solenoid&biw=1600&bih=740&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=8adcVfvxHMmYNpzjgZAM&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#tbm=isch&q=12v+dc+starter+solenoid
Anything you check that does not work I need to know results so we can eliminate things as we go.
Next, with engine running,,, key off, pull relays one at a time to see if engine dies ,,if it does swap relay with a another like relay,,if problem goes away replace relay.
Next look for rodent issue especially in compartments and around starter,,look for fusible links with casing gone,, repair any exposed wiring,,,they may also use these by solenoids.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fusible+links&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=nKhcVaiMOcqcgwSOz4CICQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1600&bih=740
This will get you going for awhile let me know how it goes or if you run into trouble.
FYI I do have grass to cut but will keep checking in at least every hour.
Thanks in advance for leaving a positive rating. If you happen to need more help, this question will stay open for weeks.
spanky
Have checked relay's , wire connections and solenoids
a few questions
there is a bundle of four black wires tied in a bundle
about 6 inch loop zip tied to back side of engine block
this bundle has a relay
that acts like a fuel shut-off relay
its diagram is 85-87-87a
86-30
991922a
if you unplug this relay the engine shuts off
and will not start til plugged back in
if you tap on this the engine stumbles like its loosing fuel
i have tried another relay with same pattern acts the same.does freightliner have a external fuel shut off control
by relay
if so whereThank you
Julia
ohh forgot
here is engine code
359 5.9 engine
engine 56603599
reference S01-25464-002
model ISB275technician working is a ase master automotive tech
so we are trying
Thank you sorry for all the problems
Also still no gauges working at anytime
major concern motorhome does not shut off when you turn ignition switch off
and we have no gaugesThank you
Julia
Okay Julia,,
let me dig into wiring and codes be back in a little while,
Thanks
I would like you to look for a low voltage detector or LVD,, can be anywhere,,, on trucks it is behind passenger seat.
You can jump out to see if its bad.
You may also have a optimized idle control,,, if LVD senses low voltage it will keep engine running until voltage rises.
code 359 on a isb is not listed but is listed on newer engines and is for optimized idle.
If you have diagrams look for the LVD or optimized idle control.
Let me know
We don't have any diagramsThanks
I thought you did by what was said earlier:::
in your reply it says its diagram is 85-87-87a 86-30 991922a
The only ones who have diagrams on these get them from the dealer that installed the RV portion since when they build these they change wiring around.
The chassis diagram won't show the add ons.
I would try and contact Georgie Boy Manufacturing
P.O. Box 30
Middlebury, IN 46540
Toll-Free:(###) ###-####
Fax:(###) ###-####
See if they will send you diagrams.
good luck
that diagram earlier was the relay diagram stamped on the realyWhat diagrams should i ask for ?
I would ask for all the wiring diagrams for that vehicle.
Tell them you are having a RV to chassis issue.
That way the owner can keep on hand in case of other issues down the road.
Thanks
What in rv connection
in the oem engine connector
would supply votage for pin 43 on freightliner side
that controls vp44 relay powerneed pin diagram for vdc ( vehicle data computer )Thank you
i messaged another expert to see if he has a diagram so wait for him to respond.
thanks
Okay
Thank you
RV Mechanic: spankyjr1, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Your welcome.
If he has not answered by now I'm sure he does not have them,, sorry.
This thing may have a anti theft devise added or a alarm just thought I would mention that.
Best of luck to you.
spankyjr1
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, RV Mechanic