RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2001 Winnabego Sightseer class A motorhome. My

Customer Question
I have a 2001 Winnabego...

I have a 2001 Winnabego Sightseer class A motorhome. My problem is, it wont turn over or start, nor will any of the guages work, nor does the heater blower or turn signals, basically everything in the on and start position does not work, except the radio. The lights (dash, running, and headlights), cigarette lighter, horn, warning flashers, and power mirrors all work in the off and on position. The MOM start switch does not work either. Is there a fuse, solenoid or relay that contorls the on and start position on the ignition switch? I'm also having problems with the leveling jacks and KwiKee slide out. Thank you for your help.

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
5/20/2015
RV Mechanic: spankyjr1, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, RV Mechanic
Hi, my name is ***** ***** you for your question.

sorry for delay.

Yes you should have a accessory solenoid and relay most ofter its the solenoid.

Looks like a starter solenoid maybe a little different but has two outer post just jump outer post to test with big jumper wire.
Click here and look at solenoids.

The only other thing would be fusible links burnt around starter.
click here to view links.

Either of these things will cause all your issues.

Thanks in advance for leaving a positive rating. If you happen to need more help, this question will stay open for weeks.

spanky

Hi Spanky,

Sorry for the delay in reply. I just got a chance to check what you said. No need to jump posts on solenoids. The solenoids in the forward compartment are "hot" on all solenoid cable posts. No matter if key is on or off. 2 soleniods connected together. They are where the main red cables go directly from the chassis battery. One cable from positive post on the battery goes to a isolated post with 2 cables going to the first solenoid. then a jumper cable to the second solenoid. Not sure I understand how this works. Any way you can get me a wiring diagram?

Hi Duane,
getting RV wiring diagrams is like pulling teeth and you must get from RV manufacture. I can't get them any easier than you, that being said check what I say below.

The solenoids are simple, they are normally open on two outer post until you apply power to small post on same side as the hot cable coming from battery,, and then it internally connects the two outer post.Once power is removed from small wire two outer post should be open.
So if you already have power to two outer post check for power to the small terminal,,if no power the solenoid is stuck closed and needs to be replaced.

One of those solenoids will connect chassis battery to coach battery only when you press momentary start switch so you definitely have a issue.

If there is anything else I can explain let me know

Thanks

So why are the 2 hot cables connected to each post on the one solenoid? If this solenoid is stuck closed, will this cause everything and MOM to not work? Both cables are hot from the chassis battery, wouldnt that make the solenoid always closed? I dont understand this, you will always get power with a hot cable connected to each side of one solenoid. Sorry, I just dont get it.

The solenoid is NO (normally open) meaning both outer post are not connected.

Once you apply power to the small terminal it connects two outer post together internally inside the solenoid making it closed or connected together.

That's so if one battery is dead holding the mom switch connects the dead battery to the good battery and it will start.

All solenoids like that work the same way so you also have one on your starter and when you apply power to the small wire terminal called the S terminal it closes the solenoid and turns the starter.

hope this helps explain it better.
spanky

So if that solenoid is bad, it will cause the problems I am having? Thats why the MOM doesn't work also? Is this also the solenoid that controls the other solenoid? So the one with 2 hot cables is the MOM solenoid? What does the other solenoid do, does the cable from it go to the starter? I'm sorry about all the questions.

Yes,, one controls the mom switch and one controls the the accessory circuit,, which supplies all your missing power.

Make sure if you do this yourself,,, take pictures of all wiring before removing anything,,,,,,,,mark all wires and cables so nothing can get mixed up,,,,,, and make sure all negative battery cables are disconnected before removing anything.

Thanks

Ok, I will replace the MOM solenoid, the one with 3 terminals, 2 cable studs and one small stud? I just don't understand how, by it being stuck closed, everything still doesn't work. Also how 2 hot leads work like that off opposite sides of the solenoid. I guess that's why I work on cars, not rv's. I will let you know if it solves the problem. Do you know anything about KwiKee slideouts or leveling jacks? Thanks again for dealing with my questions. I just hate paying for a mobile repair guy, if I can fix it.

Hi Duane,
Its not the MOM switch thats bad its the other one stuck open that is not feeding the accessory circuit so the MOM switch will not do anything.
Works like a relay for larger power sources.

Your jacks and slide outs will start working once other issue is fixed.

Please take a moment to rate my service so that I can get credit for my time.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.

Thanks