Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

2004 infinity noj1850 activity does not stay running

Customer Question

Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is Robert...
The J1850 bus is a data communications circuit used to send information to the dash gauge cluster from the engine and/or trans. computers. This information is typically vehicle speed, engine temp., oil pressure, engine speed, fuel level, etc., all the stuff needed for the gauges to display their readings and the trip computer to make its calculations. If for some reason the data circuit is open or shorted, the message you saw will appear on the dash. It basically means the dash cluster is not receiving the info. it needs from the data line. Could be a computer, wiring harness or dash cluster issue. It is a hard fault to track down. What I might do first is inspect the chassis battery make sure you have good voltage as low voltage can cause issues, disconnect the chassis battery for a few mins and see if it resets. Try and look for the wiring harness running to the dash cluster and make sure no connectors are loose or are rubbing in any areas..... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We are broken down was running fine turned it off went to restart itand it would not do anything then it started and didn't have any power now it wont start again tried what you told me it didn't help.any other suggestions. Help
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
This is such a difficult fault to have as it can be any of the components in that J1850 circuit, try looking in front of the steering column for that wire harness to dash and check where it goes through the floor and make sure it is not rubbing. I would also verify all your chassis fuse and make sure they are good. There might not be much you can do on this without having a mobile service or shop taking a look at it. IF you would like to get another experts input please let me know, my goal is for you to be satisfied, I only get credit when you select a rating....
Robert