RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Have a fleetwood wilderness 07 model travel trailer and can…

have a fleetwood wilderness 07...
have a fleetwood wilderness 07 model travel trailer and can not find where to turn on hot water heater with electric.....please help!!!!
5/10/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert...

Can you go to the outside access panel for the water heater and look for a sticker and tell me what the make and model of the water heater is? It will be an Atwood or Suburban but need the full model number, some are direct igntion and some are a pilot model...

Thanks, Robert
GC6AA-10Egot the serial number too if you need it
NO... Just the model number, and that is a direct ignition model meaning inside the RV you will have a switch plate, when you hit that switch the water heater will start up providing you have the LP ON and that water is in the tank. On the back side of the water heater should be some valves, a hot, cold and bypass, the hot and cold should be open, valve handle running with the pipe and the bypass shut, valve handle running across the pipe. Once that bis verified look for a switch panel in the hallway, bathroom or on the monitor panel. On the Atwood's sometimes the switch panel will be white if the RV manufacturer did not change the switch plate, it has to be inside... IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
The inside panel for Atwood has a lightning bolt on one side and a gas flame on the other. Is the lightning bolt electric? Is LP the gas and does it need to be on if I am trying to use it on electric?
OK
That would be it. IF you are plugged into shore power then both switches can be on, it will allow a quicker recovery time when you are using the water heater. On electric it will take longer for the water heater to heat the water then on gas. So if you have good DC voltage, water in the tank and the LP on you should hear it sparking when you hit the switch with the gas flame.... Hope this helps, if it is not sparking please let me know.... Robert
IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit... Robert
there is a little pump under the entertainment center in the living room....he cut on the pump on the Atwood panel and it came on. What is that and what is it for if you know? flipped both switches and no red light came on on panel. Dont see a bypass valve labeled
Not sure what the pump is unless it is the water pump, that will draw water from the water tank.
The valve may not be labeled, many times you have to go inside, opposite of the outside access panel and remove a panel or drawer to see the valves on the back side of the tank. IF you go outside and look at the water heater it should have a large drain plug on the bottom above that is the pressure relief valve, if you pull up on that you should have water come out, if the water heater has been running be careful as the water should be hot.
So is it working now? Did it spark and is the flame going?
Robert
Shouldn't the light on the panel come on when we flip the switches on? he doesn't have gas on because he wants to use just electricity so when he flipped on the breaker it does nothing....that we can tell anyway. Does he need to pilot up the gas just to see if it is going to work?
OK
The light on the LP side should come on when you are lighting the LP, if it stays on it indicates a fault. So the red lights should not be on. IF you are trying to use it on AC power and it is not heating up after about 40 mins go to the back side of the water heater and look for a small reset switch, that would be the high limit cut off. IF you need a service manual on this water heater please let me know... Robert
ok thanks for letting us know the red light should not be on then. We have been looking for a reset switch on back of water heater and can not see anything. We turned on the LP and heard is sparking but it never lit up. Prolly need service manual for that hot water heater.Also Robert, our refrigerator is not coming on either though the auto light is on. It has not kicked on or does not feel cool at all trying to use it on electric too. frustrating...
OK
Get an air nozzle and go to the outside and blow out the burner tube really good, sometimes bugs/debris can get into the burner tube and cause problems, make sure the electrode above the burner tube is about 1/8" above it.... Below is a service manual that covers all the different models, copy and paste that link into your browser. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit... Robert
Link below...
http://hometips.me/Mar/Atwood-Water-Heater-Service-manual.pdf
Normally we answer per issue, the fridge can be something else. IF you want to open another question up I can assist you with that but will need the model number, if you do want to open another question just add my name into the reply. Keep in mind a RV shop would charge you a hour per item for troubleshooting.
still don't see a reset switch anywhere, even in the manual.
ok
See page 14 that reset might be under a metal box with a cover, the wires from the heating element will go right to it..... Robert