RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We are out camping in our Jayco Seneca. Class C with 50 amp…

We are out camping in...
We are out camping in our Jayco Seneca. Class C with 50 amp plug. We pulled into rv park and everything was great. We left the park for a few hours. Ran all power on generator with no problem. Returned to camp site at rv park.
Strange sounds. Burning smell. Then flat screen tv starts smoking. Ac units cycle off and on - only running for 1-5 minutes. 110 plugs only work when ac ins running. Microwave no longer works at all.
Left rv park and on generator with everything working again minus the tv and microwave.
Any suggestions?
4/27/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert...

Few things to look at. First off do you have to plug your generator cord into an outlet to allow AC power into the RV or is it automatic, plug in and power comes on?

Robert
Automatic. We push a start button and it goes.
OK

This could be a few things. First off the transfer switch, the transfer switch detects the incoming power source and will switch back and forth between shore and generator power. IF something failed at the transfer switch then it could cause issues. The transfer switch will be near the shore cord in a box or inside the RV, sometimes it will be behind the breaker panel. You would have to check for AC voltage in and out of the transfer switch.
IF the power supply had a brown out OR had high or low voltage it would also cause this issue and can be very damaging to the appliances, since it smoked it is not a good sign. The microwave should have a fuse in it but not the TV so it could be bad.

My advice on this would be to have a RV shop take a look to make sure the RV wiring is OK, the last thing you want to do is plug back into 50 amp and damage more appliances. My gut says it was a supply issue with the 50 amp service if everything was working on generator minus the microwave and generator, they probably got damaged when this occurred.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, follow ups as included... Robert
Where would the fuse for the microwave be? Is it something we can check or need to be done in the shop?
OK

The fuse would be inside the microwave and it would be best to let a shop have a look as there are components inside that store high voltage so you need to be extra careful when the microwave is opened up. I would of course plug in a lamp where the microwave is plugged in to see if you have power, if you have no power look for a tripped GFI, that would be an outlet with a test and reset button on it. IF you had smoke come out I suspect the TV and microwave both got damaged. It can also damage the roof AC, fridge and anything that requires AC voltage, the boards do not like it.... RobertAlso I wanted to mention you might consider having a surge guard installed, it will prevent issues like this... might not be a bad idea....

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit, also please follow up if needed.
I thought I did rate you. I'll try again.
One last thing,,, since we are boon docking without the ability to run off shore power, we have our generator on auto mode where only comes on when needed for the air conditioner. We only have 110 power when it is on. We also have a Xantrex rs400 sine wave inverter on board that we have never used. Can I turn it on for 110 power? And, if so, will the generator turn on automatically in auto mode to be sure our batteries don't totally drain themselves? My wife is worried that the inverter and generator cannot be on at the same time. Any help would make for a better camping trip.
OK

Normally you will have the inverter on when you are not plugged in or generator running, it takes the DC battery voltage and makes the AC voltage, you are limited to how much battery power you have, really not good for running the AC unit or fridge on AC power as it will drain the battery. When you are plugged in or generator running the power converter charges the battery the rs 400 is a small inverter and will power only a few items.As the battery voltage gets low from the inverter the generator should kick in and that will allow the batteries to charge. IF you plan on running the inverter I might increase my battery bank so you have more to pull from when dry camping using the inverter.... Hope this helps, Please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I can get credit. Also feel free to follow up if needed... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic