RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a dometic RM3962; I noticed heavy ice on frig fins.

I thawed both frig n...
I have a dometic RM3962; I noticed heavy ice on frig fins. I thawed both frig n freezer then turned back on but only freezer cools, no frig which is stuck on 60. What do I do to trouble shoot? Thanks Chadd.
4/24/2015
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 7 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Hi, this can be a couple of things, first of all does it cool the same on gas and electric?
I've been afraid to run it, let me try gas and see if I have the same results. In the interim, I've had this unit since 2011 and never had any problem, I went to use it today for the first time in 3 months and wondered why I had such heavy ice on fins, could this be a clue?
the ice is humidity thru the door seals, and not a tell tale, test the refer, and I am including the service manual for the refer, preform the diagnostic test on 11.1, then test the thermister, directions are in the manual. This issue can be a control issue, or a failing cooling unit, lets test the controls first. thanks
Frig acts the same on Ac or gas; freezer cools but fri does not, stuck on 60. I ran diagnostics, all seemed fine no error codes. Next I placed temp gauge in frig (white plastic probe w white wire in a glass of ice water for 10 min, ohms were 5300, book said should be 8000-10000. What does this mean?
Good job, this is telling us that the thermister is not working properly, it is the devise that senses the coldness of the box, and tells the control to turn it on/off. With the reading given it needs to be replaced.
Ok does it matter that I stuck volt meter probes in the end of the coupling vs from the back of the coupling like the illustration shows on pg 11? Next is do you think I damaged this temp sensor when defrosting fins with hair dryer? Last is how do I replace this and where / what do I need to order or call around to try and find? What is the part number(s) that I need to buy?
Hi, here is a link , the wire runs from the interior sensor to the control board, and can be a problem to change, with this kit, you can cut the wire, and replace the probe http://www.snip-the-tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi as far as the test, it should be done with the thermister disconnected, go to the control module at the back,open it and you will see a two wire plug look at the diagram on the service manual unplug it and test. thanks
I found the proper replacement part at a local camping world. I fished the new one through by taping it to the old and didn't have to cut and splice anything. I plugged it back in and turned the frig back on. How long does it take to drop below 60 to prove its working properly? 2. Before I installed the new thermistor I did the ice water test in my kitchen with the new part before installing and couldn't get it to drop below 6000 ohms. Don't know what this means but couldn't get the 8-10,000 ohms the book says.
Good job , let it cool overnight, and ck it in the morning. By your reading its looking as if it is bad. I hope so, as the alternative is not good. Michael
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
It turns out there was nothing wrong w my frig at all. It was just really warm from heating w hairdryer and thawing and just took a really long time to get back to cool. I took it to camping world and had a tech inspect it. The new n old thermistor read close to the same cuz my volt meter was bad. Tech got 8000. We then put a temp gauge on a wire in frig and watched it drop from 70 to 60, after which showed 59 on outside of frig. I should've let it run all thurs night, tech said it wouldn't hurt it and I thought it would. Thanks anyways.
And thank you, ***** ***** piece of test equipment fails, its the worst.............Michael
I don't have any other questions. I'm done thanks. And I also competed the rating. I did request that my free 7 day trial end but I don't think your input is needed. Thx.
And thank you. Michael