RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Installed a new converter in 2000 mckenzie monaco (updagraded from Mag…

Installed a new converter in...
Installed a new converter in 2000 mckenzie monaco (updagraded from Magnatek to Ultra III from bestconverter.com), voltage meter shows that 120 volts are going to converter, but converter still isn't turning on. Also, no power in trailer from shore cord, only battery power.
4/13/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert....

Sorry for the delay...... Not understanding the first comment, you say that there is no power from the shore cord? But the meter shows power in and out of the breakers going to the converter?

I think I may have narrowed it down yesterday to be the new converter. I plugged it into a working extension cord from the house and it still didn't turn on. I've put a request into bestconverter.com to see if they have suggestions.

What I meant in the above statement is that the shore cord is bringing in power (120 v to all breakers and lines coming in) but its not what the rv is running off of. This is due to the fuse panel being after the converter though. The line going to the converter is also reading 120, but the converter won't turn on.

What's strange is if I unplug the 30a fuses on the converter, the fan kicks on in it, but still no power coming out of it.

One last clue, this all started after my mom ran a space heater (plugged into the bathroom gfc) in there and ran the microwave at the same time. But they aren't even on the same breaker or fuse.

OK

I have to agree that it could be the converter..... IF you have AC going into the converter then you should have DC output. Check the polarity of your supply and make sure it is good. Click HERE and see page 5 to verify the output. IF the AC voltage is good going into the converter and no output the converter is not working. One other thing, if you are plugging into a standard household outlet it could cause problems, I would plug into a 30 amp service and see what happens, so no adapters or cords, what happens is you can have line loss and items can start to fail. Normally the converter would at least try to run, but if the output DC voltage is low it would be something to look at... Hope this helps some... IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

I unplugged the converter completely from the rv and tested it. It is pushing out 13vdc.

The rv has 3 double breakers, all which 118 v is coming out of, but the rv still seems to be running off battery. ie No outlets work, the thermostat barely works intermittently, you can hear the fan in the heater lower its power when I turn a light on, etc.

Is it possible that the GFCI outlets (bath and kitchen) went bad and are causing this issue?

A tripped GFI would certainly not allow power to the outlets but is after the breaker panel so I do not think that is the issue. What power source are you plugged into? Are you plugged in using any adpaters or extension cords? Sorry but have to ask as you should be getting AC power inside... Robert

The shore cord is plugged into an outlet on the side of my house. No adapters or extensions cords. I tested it earlier on and its 120v which is going into the breakers and coming out of them, its just not making it to any outlets.

OK

This is really baffling, IF you have good AC voltage coming in and out of the breakers you should be seeing it at the outlets. I might start and go to the first no working outlet near the breaker panel and check for voltage, then go to the next etc... working away from the breaker panel. I might also get a polarity checker, it will plug into your outlets, places like Home Depot sell them for a few dollars. IT will tell you if you have a wiring issue, the voltage could be present but if the polarity was not correct then the outlets might not work. Check the ends of the shore cord make sure the connections are good and tight at the breaker panel and on the end that plugs in. Look for a hidden GFI, sometimes they will put one on the outside or even hidden inside. IF you are still having problems please let me know and I will put your question back up for other experts... Robert

I will try that. Also, the GFCI's won't reset. The test buttons just push in and same for the resets.

I'm going to buy the polarity checker tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

No problem... IF you still need more help please let me know, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic