RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2005 Winnebago Sightseer on Workhorse frame with 8.1…

I have a 2005 Winnebago...
I have a 2005 Winnebago Sightseer on Workhorse frame with 8.1 L Chevrolet engine and Chevrolet transmission. I have a 4-poinbt hydraulic jack system.
My red caution light on dash comes on intermittently while driving indicating "Jacks Down".
The red indicator light will also appear on the jacks operating panel along with the "buzzer" sound. The operating panel light will subsequently go off and on at various times but the "buzzer" will continue to sound and the big red dash caution light remains on. The jacks have never tried to lower while the RV is being driven.
When I arrive at the RV Park the jacks function normal without any problem.
How can this problem of intermittent jack caution light problem be solved?
Gor***** *****
4/6/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert..

I think the key is when you are driving the warning comes on and is intermittent. IF these are hydraulic jacks I would check the level in the reservoir. With the jacks stored the fluid level should be all the way to the top. As the jacks retract the fluid gets pushed back to that tank and raises a float switch, if the fluid is a little low the float switch may not raise far enough and you would get the warning... IF you run the jacks you should hear the pump/motor, the tank will be right next to the motor and will take dexron fluid, make sure with the jacks stored it is all the way to the top. IF the fluid is good then you could have a bad float switch. Most times this is caused by the fluid level being a little low.... Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

The hydraulic fluid levels were checked and full of fluid by the mechanic at Lynn Smith. It appears to possibly be a short in the detection system or the level detector as you mentioned. Explain more on the level system detector you mentioned.

OK

Please keep in mind I have no idea what has been checked... When you retract the jacks the fluid gets pushed back to the tank and raises that float switch and the jacks down light will go off. The fluid really needs to be at the top of the tank, you can sometimes look in there and see the fluid but it has to be to be right below the fill port. IF the level was at the point where the float switch is located then it would signal that alarm and you would see this when you are driving. Tell me what it says on the leveling pad and I can see if there is any troubleshooting on this. I will respond when I have that info... Robert

Also I would double check the fluid level.
OK

So I was looking into this a little more and it appears you have the Kwikee Level best... It appears on this system they use a magnet type set up at each jack so when they are retracted it makes contact with the magnet and then allows the light to go off. Click HERE and see page 9... I would make sure they are all clean and the connections are tight, each jacks should have one. IF for some reason you do not have the level best please let me know, I understand it might not look like your control pad but it will still have that magnet/switch for each jack... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic