RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have an RV Norcold refrigerator electric and propane. turned…

Customer Question
I have an RV Norcold...
I have an RV Norcold refrigerator electric and propane. turned it on, can hear it running and bubbling never heard this before, will not get cold at all. any suggestions?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: RV
4/5/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert...
IF you are hearing a gurgle noise and the fridge is not cooling at all on LP or AC power then the cooling unit is at fault. That is a symptom of failure, you might also smell ammonia or see a yellowish powder on the back of the coils. The only other thing to try is wire the AC heating element direct and see if it cools, this will bypass all the controls. This can be done with an old lamp cord or extension cord. I suspect with the gurgle noise it will not cool and confirm it is the cooling unit... Hope this helps some IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert
You don't think it is just low on FreonThe flu and coil is warm
No it is a sealed unit and should never need a re-charge really sounds like it has failed. The cooling unit will cost about 1/2 of a new fridge plus the labor is higher to change out the cooling unit, in the shop it takes about 3 hours of labor vs 1.5 to change the entire fridge out. I would wire it direct to the AC heating element, no cooling bad cooling unit. Hope this helps... Robert
IF you run it direct and it cools then that will eliminate the cooling unit.... Robert