RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Norcold 821 frig in 2007 5th wheel. Cools fine when we bypass…

Norcold 821 frig in 2007...
Norcold 821 frig in 2007 5th wheel. Cools fine when we bypass the control panel, by wiring the heating element directly to 120v. There were no fault codes showing, replaced the rear control panel. Didnt resolve the no cooling problem. We are plugging it in intermittenly to save food.
1/8/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert...
So it is also not cooling on LP? Have you tested the thermistor to make sure it was good?
Robert

What is a thermistor and where would I find it?

OK

This might take some going back and forth to have a better idea of what is going on. The thermistor will be inside the fridge, the connector for the thermistor will tie in with the interior light. What you do is stick one end into a cup of ice water and then with a volt meter check the Ohms to see if it is good. Click HERE and see page 20. You can also try to reset the board, it will explain that as well, if that does not look like you board please let me know as there is another reset. IF that does not work I suspect the upper display is at fault... Hope this helps.. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..... Robert

Ok will try that be right back

Sounds good... Robert

My husband reminded me to tell you that our first indication of a problem was the light didnt work and it was not cooling. Garbled stuff on the front control panel. Then it went blank. After replacing the rear control panel still no front panel no light and not cooling unles we have the frig plugged directly to the generator. We are boondocking in az.

OK

I am a bit confused. If you are boondocking then it should only work on LP, if you are plugged into power then it should work on LP and AC power. Have you tried running the fridge plugged into shorepower? And is the display blank? The generator, are you plugging the cord for the fridge into the generator OR did you wire the heating element direct?

Thanks, Robert

The frig quit working while we were parked on shore power. Had to move to a boondocking area. Fridg does not work on AC or propane. We have a generator and solar panel with a 2500 watt pure sine wave invertor. For 120 VAC the heating element is wired directly to an extension cord pluggec into the generator 120 ac. Frig cools when heati g element is pplugged in directly we are assuming that the propane heater doesnot work because the control panel will not turn on the propane or the igniter. I am working on a tablet sorry for the mistakes. The 3rd sentences should say, the frig didnt work until jim by passed the control board. Cools only when plugged into generator

OK

IF the control panel will not turn on at all and you replaced the lower circuit board, have good 12 volts going into the fridge, the fuses on the board are not blown then it has to be that upper control board or "eye brow".... Hope this helps some... IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

That helps a great deal. We will let you know how it goes, thanks so much.

No problem, If you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit. Also feel free to follow up if needed, I am around daily... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic