RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

we lost 12v power to our coach. we've checked all fuses visually..(to the house panel…

we lost 12v power to...
we lost 12v power to our coach. we've checked all fuses visually..(to the house panel and under the dash). when I turn off the generator or turn unplus the "shore power" I lose ALL electricity to the RV... no lights, or power to the frig. EVERYTHING works with generator or power line plugged in.
12/8/2014
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert...

Do you have a dis-connect switch near the entry door? This switch would be next to the entry step or above the entry step, also do you have a power converter or an inverter, an inverter will allow you to have AC power when you are unplugged. Have you also checked the house battery voltage at the battery?

This might take some going back and forth....

Robert

we have a chasis and coach disconnect toggle switches, I have toggled both to no avail. We have a Siemans solar panel that charges the 12v system but no inverter to convert to 120v without the generator or shore power plug in. The battery voltage on the meter was at about 12.7 I believe when the 12volt system blew. We were using an auxillary generator at the time and went to turn it off. as we unplugged the loads (so we could turn off the generator without load) the generator surged and blew the 12v power. We have checked every fuse we can find both under the dash of the coach and in the house panel

OK

When you are plugged into power the power converter takes the incoming AC voltage and makes the DC voltage, when you unplug the converter will switch over to battery power, the power converter will also charge the battery when you are plugged in.
IF you have a toggle switch inside for the house battery then you have a dis-connect solenoid, when you hit the switch you should hear a faint click each time. So to start I would find the disconnect solenoid and check for power on the large posts, if you have power on one side and not the other get an insulated wire and jump the posts to see if power comes on, if so bad solenoid. IF you can not located it by sound by hitting the switch follow the battery cable it should lead right to the solenoid, as you are following the cable make sure you do not have an auto breaker that is tripped, some will use them, below is a picture. Most have a small tab that pops out when they trip, and others are thermal. Let me know and we can continue, this still could be an issue with the power converter not switching to battery power.... Robert

Auto Breaker...

yes ... I heard a faint click before when I tested the toggle disconnects. I have seen a "auto breaker or solenoid" that looks like your picture right by the RV generator. Would that be a plausible location for it? come to think of it, it sounds like its coming from under the dash and not by the generator. Can I check this while I am plugged into auxillary power or do I have to unplug and make sure everything is off to get a valid reading? It is 6:40 am here and very cold (high 20's) and I didn't want to disconnect if I didn't have to. We live in the Motorhome right now and my wife will freeze if I have to turn things off for long. If you are married...well I'm sure you understand. But I will do what I need to do. Let me know... Thanks.

Understand, been married 21 years......

I would find the dis-connect solenoid to start, on the solenoid you will have two large posts the battery voltage should go to one side, hit the switch power should transfer to the other side, if you only have power on one side then get a wire and jump the posts to see if the power comes on when you are unplugged..... Robert

Going to have to troubleshoot this with the symptom occurring which means unplugged.. The system should not fail if all your DC voltage is working plugged in or on gen.... The picture is an auto breaker....

OK.......... thank you very much. I wish I could continue now but will have to wait for later in the day after the sun comes up and things warm up a little. I can't locate the solenoid by myself as the faint click is deceptive from where I press the toggle. I can get some help locating it when other members of family get their behinds out of bed. Which means I will probably have to start over with a new tech. Thank you very much, you've given me enough to get started with and hopefully it is just a solenoid problem. Since everything works when plugged in, it does seem a logical conclusion. So I will rate you as "good service" for this session, and if I have to come back, that's not on you as I can't follow your instructions until a bit later.

Thank you again.

OK

You should be able to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit, Also you can come back to this if needed, I am around daily and respond when I can, but only get credit when you select a rating... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Thank you, ***** ***** responding to leave this open. Do not respond now but when you are ready IF you still need more help... No hurry, I am around everyday.... Robert