RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I AM THINKING OF INSTALLING A GENERATOR IN PLACE WHERE ONAN…

I AM THINKING OF INSTALLING...
I AM THINKING OF INSTALLING A GENERATOR IN PLACE WHERE ONAN WAS.THE WIREING IS THERE AND FUEL SUPPLY.WAS WONDERING SEEING AS ONAN SO MUCH MONEY I HAVE A REGULAR 4000 WATT GENERATOR I WOULD LIKE TO MOUNT THERE.WAS WONDERING IF I COULD USE FUEL LINE FROM TANK,AND ADD A FUEL PUMP.ALSO TO HOOK UP STARTER SWITCH INSIDE MOROR HOME AS GERERATOR I HAVE IS ELECTRIC START
10/21/2014
RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 7 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Although you could install that genset, I really do not recommend it for several reasons.

1. Connecting an electric pump the way you want to may not work. You would have to know the working pressure of the carb, and get a fuel pump rated for that pressure. Since a portable genset utilizes gravity flow, I would have to assume the working pressure of the carb is extremely low. Putting too heavy of a pump in would blow the seals in the carb, and you would end up with a massive gas leak.
Even is you could determine the carbs working pressure, and manage to find a pump rated for that pressure, you would still have to have a safety circuit designed for the unit to be able to shut off the fuel pump if a problem occurred.

2. Connecting a remote start on a portable unit can be done, but it takes some serious design changes to do so.
A portable unit utilizes a hot switch to start the genset, while an RV unit utilizes a neutral switch. The existing wiring in your coach may not be big enough for the task. It would also require different switches than what you have.

3. There are actually laws that govern how a genset is to be installed in an RV. One of them has to do with where the exhaust is located. The exhaust system on a portable genset would have to be completely redesigned to follow the law - and to prevent fire. I never recommend modifying an exhaust system, as the unit may not be engineered for the type of modification made. Simply slapping on a tail pipe is not the way to do it.

4. A portable genset is not designed for the rigors of RV use. It would not last very long. An RV genset is specially designed for use in RVs. There are major differences between a portable unit and an RV unit.

If you are wanting to use a portable unit, you are much better off just carrying it with you, and setting it up when you get to where you are going.
.
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets

you make very good sencse.i appreciate the way you explained it.i will wait get the onan madefor the rv.if i need one before i will do what you say and mount it on back rack and remove when in use.thank u

I'm glad I could be of assistance to you.

I know Onan is an expensive unit, and that right now Onan is the only company that still makes RV units.
But you do have the option of getting a used unit - there are plenty of them out there. Onan or Generac are the only ones I would recommend, though, as Kohler and Honda got out of the RV business several years ago, and parts are starting to get really expensive for them. I just priced a Kohler carb 2 weeks ago, for a 5,000 watt unit. It was going to run over $700.

Thank you for using Just Answer, and please don't forget to leave me an appropriate rating.
.