RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have an aliner camper that has a converter in it. when…

I have an aliner camper...

I have an aliner camper that has a converter in it. when plugged into 120 v ac everything works. when I am not plugged in and just want to use lights and fans nothing works off the aux. battery

I also just checked voltage at the aux. battery and got 12.17 volts.... when the camper is not plugged into ac 120 v outlet.    I plugged the camper in to AC 120 v outlet and rechecked voltage at the battery and got the same reading - 12.17 volts DC.

all lights, etc work when plugged into AC current...

9/9/2014
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert....

What is the make and model of the converter?

Robert

it is a WFCL model # *****

OK

I think you might have a bad converter, the key is the battery voltage is not changing when you plug in, for that converter the output should be no lower then 13.2 volts in float mode. When you plug in you should see the voltage go up over 14 volts in bulk charge. Sometimes you will find an auto breaker near the battery, below is a picture some are thermal and some have a small tab that pops out when they trip, normally IF you had one it would be 18" from the battery and could be on the frame..... The converter will also switch from converter power to battery power, when you are plugged in the converter makes the voltage when you unplug the converter switches to battery power. Click HERE for some information and troubleshooing.... Hope this helps some... Robert

Hi Marty
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Let me know,
Robert

Well the manual for the converter helped... the troubleshooting guide in it as well as the conversation with the support tech from their company helped me trouble shoot the problem.... which turned out to be a bad connector between the battery terminal and the inline 20 amp fuse. they used a cheap connector to splice those two segments of wire together ... once I checked continuity between the battery terminal and the end of the wire at the converter side I was able to narrow it down to that bad connector.....

Great job! Connection issue can be hard to find so outstanding!

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating it is the only way I get credit, you are not getting charged again when you do this.... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi Marty

Let me know,
Robert