RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

having furnace issues: 2012 work and play. I have fresh full…

Customer Question
having furnace issues: 2012 work...
having furnace issues: 2012 work and play. I have fresh full propane tanks, the fuse coming off the battery is good, not plugged into power otherwise, fridge, stove and hot water heater all are working, vents are not blocked, air intake is not blocked, thermostat is set to 21 degrees C, and when i turn the furnace all i hear is a click. No fan and no heat being generated.
This happened before, and i put new tank on and it worked for a few hours until i turned the heat down and now it won't turn back on.
What am i missing?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: RV
9/7/2014
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert.....

This could be an issue with the T-stat or circuit board for the furnace, when you set the T-stat the fan should come on right away, what is the make and model of the furnace? Also do you have an access panel on the outside or just an intake and exhaust port?

This was not the answer, please do not rate until you are satisfied....

Robert

Hi thanks for the reply.

The make of the furnace is: Suburban

The model is: NT-30SP

All I have is an access panel under neath the sink and beside the hot water heater. Ive removed the panel to check if there is a spark going into the furnace and i can't tell if there is one or not.

There is an intake and exhaust port on the exterior, but that seems to be it.

OK

The key is the fan not coming on as soon as you set the thermostat the fan should come on, so this appears to be an issue with the thermostat or circuit board for the furnace. The furnace would never spark with out the blower motor going as it purges the air for ignition. Make sure the thermostat has power and ground, if you see two blue wires on the back of the thermostat connect them together and see if the blower comes on, if it does then bad thermostat. IF nothing happens then it could be the circuit board or "module" board. most RV shops have a special tester for testing them out. Click HERE for a manual on this it should helps some.... Robert

Behind my thermostat (pulling off the front panel) I've got three wires. Brown, green and red. It is a Dometic , but no serial number. No blue wires at all.

OK

Then most likely it is wired in with the upper circuit board in the AC unit, I think the next step would be to have the module board on the furnace tested out, most RV shops have a special board tester for testing. IF you can get me the full model of the roof top AC unit I might be able to assist you more..... Robert

The AC unit is also a Dometic and the serial number is 15221646. Do you need the MFG # 459516.701C0

OK..

Let me look into this not sure I have much info on that model but I will take a look to see if I can figure out the wiring. Does your thermostat say anything on it or how many buttons do you have?

Robert

This is the thermostat i have:

http://rvdailyreport.com/products/the-thermostat-allows-easy-single-zone-climate-management/

Sorry, at closer look mine doesn't have the heat pump function. everything else is the same though.

OK

Let me look into this for you it will take me a bit of time to see how it is wired up and if the problem is up in the AC unit or the board. My hopes is to bypass the Thermostat but all the ones I have seen have the blue wires for the T-stat.... I will let you know one way or another. If I can not help I will let you know and put your question back up for others... Robert
OK

SO the wires run to the circuit board into the control box for the AC unit then the do turn to blue wires to the furnace, below is a diagram see if you can locate the terminal block on the furnance and connect the blue wires prior to that block...... IF the fan comes on the thermostat is bad. IF the fan does not come on then it could be a bad board or blower motor.... Robert

Ok ill try that tonight. Thanks

Sounds good, if you want me to shoot you a diagram of the upper ac unit let me know.... Robert

Yeah might as well send the AC diagram. Anything will help!

OK

Click HERE on the bottom page, center diagram looks like the 12 volts comes from the board to the T-Stat so need to verify power on the supply wires, if you have power you will see the blue wires going to the furnance.... Hope this makes some sense.... Robert

Ive completely inspected the ac unit wiring and compared it to the diagram. There are no blue wires at all. There is only the brown green and red wires that are linked to larger brown, white, and a brown/white wire.

I think we might want top open this one up to some other guys. Seems we've hit a brick wall on the wire colours alone

OK

Understand, I will put your question back up on the list, I do not know when another expert will respond they come and go daily, sorry I could not help out on this.. Robert