RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2005 Beaver Monterey, 40 with a Zantrex 2000 watt…

I have a 2005 Beaver...
I have a 2005 Beaver Monterey, 40' with a Zantrex 2000 watt inverter/charger mounted in the bay. The rv is parked in a large totally enclosed ventilated/insulated building, connected to reliable 50-amp power 24/7. The generator is not set for auto start in a power failure. I also keep several bay doors open due to heat for ventilation. The rv is used monthly as cottage when not traveling.
1) What would you recommend to manage the inverter/charger when kept operational 24/7 ? Previously have turned off the charger side of inverter when not used for two weeks or longer, only to have the house batteries drop to a low reading in 10-14 days. Only the propane/120 volt fridge, and 12 volt maintenance systems remain operational.
2) within past 18 months (+/-) a high pitch whine (fan bearing?) comes from the inverter, Shutting down the charger side the noise stops.
Would appreciate your comments.
Paul Broddick
Little Rock, AR
*****@******.***
8/23/2014
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert.....

IF the 12 volt system is being used then you have to allow the inverter to charge the batteries or the fridge and anything else running on 12 volts is going to drain the batteries down. So I would allow the inverter to charge the batteries, it will shut down or go into stages as needed. The noise is a concern, normally on these inverters you do not open them up and repair them, you replace them. For this I might try blowing out the inverter really good to see with that helps with the noise. You might find an RV shop to make the repairs but most will not, normally they get shipped to xantrex and they would repair it. IT really is hard to say how long the inverter will last if the fan gives out then it will shut the inverter down as it will overheat. SO I might consider replacing it now..... IF you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi There

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Robert
Hi There

Let me know,
Robert