RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Silhouette refrigerator by Dometic. The freezer gets…

Customer Question
I have a Silhouette refrigerator...
I have a Silhouette refrigerator by Dometic. The freezer gets down to 0 but the refrigerator does not cool when on propane. If I use electric it all works well. I have blown out the burner jet and where the flame is some dust came out. The motorhome is level and I turned it back on four hours ago. I just check it and freezer is cold but not the refrigerator. I have three big water jugs in the refrigerator to have something in the box. The motorhome is 1996 Class A. I'm the second owner but the refrigerator appears to be original equip.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: RV
8/5/2014
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 8 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael, hi the only differance between operating on elect, or the gas is the heat source..........So if the flame is compromised it wont cool properly..............My first suggestion is (and I see you have cleaned it) is to remove the burner jet, and soak it in acetone for a while (1hr or so) let it dry, and reinstall it......I have seen several times where the oil in the propane used to give it a scent for leaks, clogs the orifice just enough to lower the btu's to effect cooling......Give it a try , and let me know........Michael