RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Hello - I have a Dometic NDR-1292 that has decided to not work.

As a bit of history...
Hello - I have a Dometic NDR-1292 that has decided to not work. As a bit of history, I am parked in an RV lot and get all my power from the 50A, so its been running on electric pretty much full time since last November. It had been building up ice on the fins that I would defrost from time to time. But now, it won't get cool in the fridge or freeze in the freezer at all. The lights all come on and it has power. No error lights. I can switch it to gas and it lights. I can feel lots of heat coming from the heating panel. I checked the top vent and it is not blocked that I can see. I do smell some ammonia but its not overwhelming. I live in Basalt, CO and no where near an RV repair place. Suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.
7/20/2014
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 8 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael, hi from your description, and the smell of ammonia unfortunatly, the cooling unit has begun to leak.........This means a replacment cooling unit is necessary to resolve your issue........Michael

Thanks, ***** ***** assume that is a complicated thing?

It is necessary to remove the refer from the cabinet, unscrew the cooling unit from the inside of the box, and freezer, remove the electronics, and burner assy. remove and reinstall a new unit......................It can be done..............a new not rebuilt unit is advised, or this is the time depending on the condition of the box to consider a new refer.......Michael
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician