RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2009 Jayco class C motorhome. The air conditioner…

I have a 2009 Jayco...
I have a 2009 Jayco class C motorhome. The air conditioner quit working last night. It kicks on and makes noise for a bit but the air never starts blowing and it shuts down after a minute or so. Is there anything i can do to fix. In the middle of a camping trip in a hot place.
7/19/2014
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert

So you are saying when it kicks on you get no air at all? (cold or warm)

Robert

Yes no air at all. It makes a fair amount of noise but not blowing air at all. Fan setting on thermostat doesnt blow air either.
OK

What I would do is remove the shroud on the roof so you can see the fan blades, make sure the fan spins freely, be very careful when you remove that shroud, sometimes bees, wasps like to make nests under that location I have seen mud daubers make a nest near the fan so be very careful.... IF the fan spins freely then not much you are going to be able to do, it could be a bad fan motor, capacitor or circuit board issue if it is in fact making noise... Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

I went on the roof and took off the shroud. A few nests but only one hornet. Anyway, the fan moves freely. I turned on the ac and spun the fan manually and the fan started working on its own. Seemed to be blowing pretty good until i got down and went in and found the fan is not blowing as hard as normally does. Blows cold air but at a lower speed. Also, there is a slight smell -kind of burning smell- coming out of the vent. Seems to be dissipating slightly as it continues.
OK

This could be a number of things, it could be the circuit board, a capacitor or blower motor issue, having that smell is not a good sign. At this point what I might do is shut the breaker off and check all your connections at the circuit board, make sure the AC wires are tight and nothing is loose. It is hard to say if it will stay running or not but I would check all the connections, if you see any burnt marks on the board it will be a red flag... Hope this helps. Robert

Is this board accessed from the roof?
Depends on the make,model AC unit, some are under the shroud inside and will be a silver box with connectors going into it and others it will be on the roof and will be under a small metal cover... IF you can get me the make and model it might help.... Robert
9000 series rvp rv products division of airxcel. Coast to coast caravan and leisure. Coastrv.com.au
OK

Click HERE and see if this helps, this is for the condition if the fan is running but notat full speed... Robert

Looks like fan capacitor from that chart. Thanks.
Yes that is what I was thinking when you mentioned that it started, need to be very careful with the capacitors, they store energy and if you touch the post you can get a very hard jolt, they should be discharged prior to removing. I hope I have been helpful, IF you are satisfied please feel free to rate my service, it is the only way I get credit... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi There

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Robert