RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I bought a used 2000 National RV, Model 5360 and its new to…

I bought a used 2000...
I bought a used 2000 National RV, Model 5360 and it's new to me, got it last month. Yesterday I filled up the LP tank and checked all the connections for leaks and everything looked good. I turned on the fridge and since it wasn't hooked up to electric, the gas came on and lit, no problem. After several minutes, the freezer was cooling down nicely but the refrigerator itself did not get cold. I let it go for about an hour and I didn't see any change in the fridge temp, then I hooked the RV up to a 20amp circuit to see if it would switch over to electric, which it didn't. I looked at the fuses in the refrigerator electrical box behind the fridge and noticed the 5amp fuse was blown (for the AC heater). Would that prevent the refrigerator from getting cold? I I have a Dometic model RM2852.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/15/2014
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 8 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Hi, welcome to the world of rv's, if the refer is operating on gas, and the freezer is getting cold, if the refer box is going to get cold it will.............as far as the electric fuse issue, take a look at the element, take the cover off of the control module at the rear, unplug the wires leading to the element in the heat stack (make sure the 110v is unplugged) and with your voltmeter, set to resistance, ck the element...............let me know what the resistance is....Let the refer run on gas overnight, ck temps in the am...........these are absorbtion units, and do not act like household compressor driven units..............make sure the flame is sharp, and blue,,,,,,,,,,,blow out the burner if necessary, let it run overnight, ck the resistance in ohms of the element, and lets talk tomorrow...........Michael

Michael,

I'm not sure where you want me to measure the resistance? Are you talking about the 120v heater?

Thanks,

Brian

thanks for responding, you are correct, unplug the wires from the heater and ck the resistance the 120v heater.........

The resistance was 42.1 from the heater. I measured it across the connectors on the circuit board if that's ok.

There was also another connector on the heater stack that had two wires connected to it (thermocouple?). It's not shown on the drawing I have.

the other connection is for a limit switch which is a safety devise, that shuts the refer off if it gets too hot, and is not circulating the refrigerant............thanks, ***** ***** disconnect the wires, this is important, as we dont want the board to interfere with the reading, thanks

Ok, I went back and disconnected the wires from the board and it measured 42.9

That is an acceptable reading, now, does the fuse blow when you try to operate on electric?

No. I plugged it in and it didn't blow. I didn't leave it on long enough to check if it was getting cool. Currently the gas is on and the fridge is running on the gas.

thanks, ***** ***** running it on gas, and ck temps in the morning. then we will switch over to electric, and ck on that side, lets make sure the cooling unit is ok...........Michael

Sounds like a good plan.

Great I'll talk to you tomrrow, I'll be here when youror shortly thereafter,,,,Michael

I had to take it to Ford last night to check a leaking tire but I left the fridge on all night and when I just picked it up, the freezer and fridge are nice and cold! Maybe tonight, I'll hook up the electric line to my house and switch it over and see if it's still cold in the morning.

thats great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and your right, thats the next step, lets run it on electric, and see if it holds, if not we can proceed in that area, thanks for getting back to me

It was still cold this afternoon after running all night and most of the day on electricity so it looks like we're fixed! Yeah!

Thanks for your help!

Brian

Fantastic, again welcome to the world of rvs......................Michael
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician