RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

i installed a 30 amp 220v outlet and plugged in to my 30 amp…

i installed a 30 amp...
i installed a 30 amp 220v outlet and plugged in to my 30 amp 110v 2000 fleetwood 27 foot tag along trailor and now nothing works how do i fix it
6/29/2014
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert

You can not use 220 or you can damage the appliances, I do not even know how you would wire that for a 30 amp service, normally you see this issue when owners wire a 50 amp service and hook the to 110 wires together, they are separate, on a 30 amp you just have one 110 volt hot.

SO if you truly plugged into 220 then you have to follow the flow of the AC power if you do not have a generator it should go right to the breaker panel, from there it should branch out to all the appliances, the problem is the circuit boards do not like 220 and can cause all kinds of damage. To start I would check for any tripped GFI'S they should be in the bathroom or galley but can be anywhere. IF you have AC power coming in and out of the breaker panel then I would go to the appliances and see if you have AC power. You can also damage the power converter, it takes the AC voltage and makes the DC voltage when you plug in.....Below is a print on a 30 amp 120 service.... Robert

Robert,

I wired the 30 amp plug to a 2 pole 30 amp 220 breaker in the panel of my house. If I fried the power converter, where would I locate it? When I looked around the breaker panel in the RV, I just saw breakers and fuses, but couldn't find the converter. Where is it? I have never owned an RV before.

Scott

OK

The power converter will be part of the main breaker/fuse panel or stand alone and plug into an outlet. Many times on the plug in style it will be near the breaker panel, under the fridge stove etc..... Very damaging when you hook 220 to the system.... IF you can tell me the make and model of the breaker fuse panel I can tell you if that is the converter... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Thanks Robert. Here is the info: Magnetek Model 80 AC Panel Board Type 1

Electrical control center DC Distribution Panel.

Electrical Rating- 30 amps 120 VAC

Should I just change the whole panel?

Scott

OK

That is just the breaker box, you should have a converter near by and that might need to be replaced. Magnetek is no longer in business however Parallax has taken them over, click HERE for that link. Once you find the converter I would contact them, direct to see what will work..... Also all the AC appliances should be checked, the fridge will have a AC fuse located on a circuit board under the outside access, the microwave should have a fuse inside of it as well.... Hope this helps......

IF you are satisfied please feel free to rate me service, it is the only way I get credit... Robert