RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Norcold Model N8121VRT s/n(###) ###-#### The fridge stopped cooling. The display led flashes 5 times indicating...

Norcold Model N8121VRT s/n(###) ###-#### The...
Norcold Model N8121VRT s/n(###) ###-####

The fridge stopped cooling. The green display led flashes 5 times indicating the fridge is not cooling. I have reset it by turning it off and back on. Same result. No difference in gas mode - same code.

This happened once last night, but it reset and functioned normally through the night.
6/29/2014
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert

This could be an issue with the cooling unit if it will not reset OR this code keeps coming back. There is another reset you can try at the board, I would verify the voltage when this is happening sometimes low voltage can trigger this code. Click HERE and HERE it will depend on which circuit board you have. The circuit board will be located under the outside access cover.... IF the code comes back I would have a shop diagnose further.... Robert

Thanks. I am printing the first of the two linked PDF file. The second does not display and will not print.

Will the board reset if all electrical power is removed?

OK

No normally you have to jump wires to certain pins.... Click HERE this one is a bit better covers all of them... Robert

Ok, I

am able to view and print the new PDF. I have located the PC board enclosure, and will attempt the reset procedure tomorrow morning when it is light and when I have help. Meanwhile we have put ice bags inside the fridge to keep the food cool. In the morning we will move the food to coolers so we can watch the system go through its cycle.

I see no obvious cause for the fault. However, I think the cooling has been off for some time since the external fins at the top are ambient temperature.

Thank you for the info. I'll report back tomorrow. (I'm thinking I want to replace the fridge since we are also having trouble with the door seals leaking.)

Yes door seals are a huge factor they can allow air to leak in.... IF you have more questions or that reset does not look like your board please let me know. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating it is the only way I get credit... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

I will get back to you in the morning.

Sounds good have a great evening!

Robert

I performed the board reset (method 3) and it worked. This is a side vent unit with a fan, and the fan is working. There was no fault code from 10AM to about 2PM, just under 4 hours. Then I saw the 5 flashes again. The internal temp was 55, fins cool but not frosted, back plate of the freezer had a layer of frost. There are two bags of ice in the freezer and another in the fresh food compartment.

I shut it off, waited about half a minute and turned it on - no fault code. I suspect that the cooling system is not performing well, and the board is detecting the temp over 50 and locking out. I will call Camping World in Buffalo, NY to see if they can replace the unit on Monday.

Thanks for the update,sounds like the cooling unit has failed if it ran then cut off.... I was keeping my fingers crossed..... Robert