RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a 2011 Rockwood Roo with a Dometic refrigerator. Up…

We have a 2011 Rockwood...
We have a 2011 Rockwood Roo with a Dometic refrigerator. Up until this afternoon it has been cooling just fine when it's turned on. Today the freezer is very cold and the refrigerator compartment is not cold at all. What is the problem and can I fix it without taking it into the dealer? We plan to go camping tomorrow!
Thanks
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/22/2014
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert

Can you please get me the make and model of the fridge? Do you have a volt meter?

Robert

Make of the refrig is Dometic. I'll have to go outside and get the model number. At that time I'll check with my husband to see if we have a volt meter. Be right back

Sounds good.... Robert

Model number is ***** My husband says we do not have a volt meter.

OK

This could be an issue with the thermistor OR a cooling unit problem. Normally no cooling in the box running it on both LP or AC power indicates a thermistor or cooling unit issue. No cooling on one source indicates an issue with the controls. IF you run it on AC power for a few hours then feel the round flue canister should be very hot where the wires are going into it. The gray absorber coils should feel warm from top to bottom, if they are cool then it indicates a cooling unit issue which is not good. The other issue is the thermistor that is the wire under the plastic cover, if you go down to the circuit board located outside and pull the two wire connector the fridge should default to full cold, I beleive it is marked P-2 on the board if it cools off then the thermistor is at fault. I do not think this is going to be an easy fix and might need to get to a shop.....I asked about a meter because you can ohm out the thermistor to see if it is good... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

You're right. This looks more complicated than I had thought. Looks like we'll be taking it into the dealer.

Thanks