RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I think I left my rv refrigerator on since last October. Will…

I think I left my...
I think I left my rv refrigerator on since last October. Will I have a mess to clean up next month. We have all year long electricity.
4/15/2014
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert...

It is very hard to say..... IF you lost power the fridge should default to LP once it switches to LP then you are running off of battery power, once the battery drains it will shut the fridge down. IF all the food spoiled it is going to be very difficult to get it clean, I have seen some cases where owners have replaced the fridge. If you had AC power the entire time it should be fine..... IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

I didn't leave any food. I just wonder if the freezer defrosted and left a lot of water around if electricity went out. Electricity has been on all the time except it there was an outage.

OK good, on not leaving any food, if that is the case I would not expect any issues, the electrical is protected pretty good and if the fridge defrosted it should not be a bigconcern. You should be all set as long as the RV is sitting on level ground.... Hope this helps... Robert

Would the freezer have defrosted if the door was never opened or electricity went out? Will I have water damage on the carpet?

No I would not think so it should drain out the back of the fridge if it defrosted, the floor might get damp but it would not be enough water to cause major damage. Some units will have a catch cup as well, there would be a tube going into that and itis located under the outside access panel for the fridge. Chances are good you are not going to have a huge problem... Robert

Ok, I thank you for your answers. I just never noticed any type of drainage system before. But I wasn't looking. I know that the ice build up in the freezer does occur and I just wonder what happens to it when it defrosts. The electricity is on and I haven't been out there since October and won't be going out again until May. I just want to be prepared for a mess if that may occur. It is a trailer and not one of the big rigs, does that make a difference?

For the most part all the fridges are the same, the main brands are Norcold and Dometic, between the two of them there are hundreds of different models and sizes but they all work the same. The big issue is if it sits unlevel the cooling unit can become blocked..... I think you are going to be OK on this...... Hope this helps, if you are satisfied please feel free to rate my service, it is the only way I get credit..... Also feel free to contact me in the future with an RV questions....... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

I am hoping that since the door was never opened the water will be sitting in the fridge part and not leaking on the floor. I may just have to clean up some mold. I hope that is what happens.

Well I will have my fingers crossed for you, please feel free to let me know if you think about down the road.... Robert

Thanks, I guess it all has to do with the doors not having been opened. But ice does build up in the freezer part. I just don't know how much ice builds up each month. It was a hard winter so I know most of the time it was frozen, LOL!