RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 99 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, today I found the hydraulic…

I have a '99 Holiday...
I have a '99 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, today I found the hydraulic pump for the leveling jacks wouldn't run. While trouble shooting I used a 12 volt battery charger to energize the pump at the solenoid. The pump ran and I had the rotary disconnects off for the coach and chassis batteries, however I now no longer hear the loud "clunk" of the power relay(?) that connects the coach loads to the batteries when I turn on the disconnect. I have no interior 12 volt lights now or anything else that operates on the coach batteries. I have checked all the fuses that I know of and no blown ones. The diesel will start and I have some chassis power, however I noticed the dash radio won't come on. Can you tell me where this relay is on the chassis and where the fuse is if it has one?
3/24/2014
RV Mechanic: Walt-Mod, Moderator replied 8 years ago
Walt-Mod
Walt-Mod, Moderator

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find an Expert to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Walter

Obviously I would like an answer in a timely manner, but I can wait a few days. It is keeping my rv out of commission, so the sooner the better. Thank you

RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi my name is Robert....

I can try and help on this.... You mentioned you have rotary switch outside for both the chassis and house disconnects? DO you also have an interior cutoff switch for the house battery inside near the entry door?

Thanks, Robert
No, no switch for the batteries, there's a rocker switch fir ceiling lights, the motorized steps and the outside porch light. I just purchased a new battery isolator delay relay for the battery compartment in case I fried that. Could the "clunk" I should be hearing be the transfer switch for the generator/shore power?
OK

Do you have AC power inside the RV? That would be the outlets, microwave etc?

Thanks, Robert

Robert,

Just got home from a week (including Saturday) on the road, so I wasn't near the motorhome. Do you mean if I start the generator? I park too far from the house to have a 30 or 50 amp outlet for the rv. Let me know.

Thanks

Yes I was wanting to know if the symptoms are the same when you run from generator and from shore power. Need to know if you are also missing AC power on each source... OR if the AC power is good. Robert

Robert,

I went out to the motorhome to try and start the generator. The generator won't start, there is no pilot lamp indication in the rocker switch that there is 12 volt power. The auxiliary start rocker switch won't start it either, so unless I use a 12 ga. extension cord and make a temp. 30 amp receptacle on a 20 amp breaker in my outside panel (I have the 50 amp to 30 amp adapter cord). It is too far from the house to run a 30 amp circuit. For troubleshooting purposes would the temp. I can cut the cord caps off the extension cord and wire into a 20 amp double pole in my panel for 220 volt and make up a temp. receptacle.

Robert,

I went out to the motorhome to try and start the generator. The generator won't start, there is no pilot lamp indication in the rocker switch that there is 12 volt power. The auxiliary start rocker switch won't start it either, so unless I use a 12 ga. extension cord and make a temp. 30 amp receptacle on a 20 amp breaker in my outside panel (I have the 50 amp to 30 amp adapter cord). It is too far from the house to run a 30 amp circuit. For troubleshooting purposes would the temp. plug in work? I can cut the cord caps off the extension cord and wire into a 20 amp double pole in my panel for 220 volt and make up a temp. receptacle.

OK

I don't think I would mess cutting the cord to make this work. You were asking about the transfer switch. The transfer switch allows AC power into the RV, it detects the incoming power source, generator or shore power and switches between the two, normally what can happen is the relay can get hung up and not provide AC power to one source. Normally if the batteries are not dead you should still have 12 volt DC voltage. So I would go to the battery, verify the voltage, next follow the battery cables the best you can and look for a fuse or auto breaker on the frame. The battery power should go through the disconnect to the main fuse panel. When you are plugged in the inverter will charge the battery. I would make sure no breakers are tripped on the inverter as well. Normally if you have an interior switch it will activate a solenoid valve, if that solenoid fails then it could also prevent power into the RV. Follow the battery cables and see if they are going to a solenoid. If you find any solenoids what you can do is check for power on the larger posts, if one side has power and the other does not get an insulated wire and jump the larger posts and see if power comes on. I honestly do not recall if they use a solenoid with the rotary style cutoff switch. My initial feelings are something tripped when you hooked up the charger. A 12 volt test light would also help, it will allow you to check for power and see where it is missing from the batteries to the fuse box.... Hope this helps some... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic