RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I bought a 2007 Monico Knight with a Dometic NDA 1402 frig/freezer…

Customer Question
I bought a 2007 Monico...
I bought a 2007 Monico Knight with a Dometic NDA 1402 frig/freezer in May of 2013 from Camping World in Robertsdale, AL. Upon initial acceptance, we found that the ice maker would not make ice. After several attempts to repair and replacement of several parts suggested by the Dometic Rep by phone, it made some ice. We departed and went to Atlanta, Ga. where the ice maker failed again. As I had some other issues (slides) I decided to take the motor home to Wakarusa, IN. When I arrived there for the 24 June appointment, I had a more issues with the frig/freezer. They called the Dometic rep and before he arrived at the Monico repair facility, it failed and would not even give a reading of any info on the LED display panel. The Dometic rep decided it was beyond repair. Dometic replaced the unit with another NDA 1402 WIDBS. serial number 94600096. I had to pay for the labor to replace. This new unit worked well for the next month. I then stored the motor home for 4 months. On 1 Dec.2013 I again began use of the motor home and all was well until 17 Jan 2014 when the freezer temp began to rise. It had been operating between 1 and 5 degrees while on 120VAC and making ice although it would not despense cubes, only crushed even though cube was selected. The reefer side works normally maintaining 38 degrees +or- a couple of degrees while on level 3 cooling . There are no warmings displayed on the LED read-outs. The freezer temp has leveled out at 19 degrees and the ice maker is not working. I removed the outside cover and the cooling tubes for the reefer are warm to warmer (normal) and the freezer tube is only warm near the large tank (nomenclature unknown) where both sets of tubes are connected. All fuses are good and all other aspects operate normally (lights, fans, dispensers). I did not register this unit with the warranty card when it was installed on the 27th of June 2013 as Monico Service said it would not be covered since it was a replacement unit. I live in this motor home most of the year and really want the unit to work as advertised. Can you assist me with some advise. I do not want to call some one to come troubleshoot, leaving me without a reefer for some period of time.
I just remembered, when it made the first batches of ice after installation, we began to get the crushed ice instead of cube. After we arrived at our destination and stored the motor home, I allowed all to cool down and then adjusted the cube size 1/4 turn down according to the user manual. That did help with the crushed problem but did not cure it completely. Not sure I need to make further adjustments but at this point, since it does not get cold enough to make ice, it is pointless to adjust futher. I have read the user manual and know that the freezer temp is a permanent set, uneffected by the reefer setting. If you need further info, I will certainly try to obtain.Thanks for your time. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX Akins [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: RV
1/23/2014
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 8 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi. Thank you for your question. My name is Randall and perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Does it make any difference whether or not you are on AC mode or LP mode? And is the fridge level? And one more thing.......is the fridge in a slide out room? Get back to me with this information and I can direct you further here.

The difference in power has not been checked since I am parked in an RV park with 50 amp power. The frig is level and yes it is in a slide out room. Frig/freezer is located at the very rear of the front slide and is mid coach. I arrived here on the 27th of Dec and it worked fine (0 +or- a couple of degrees) until the 17th of Jan. I moved to the site next to me so pulled all 4 slides, and did roll over a low curb pulling out and backing in to the new site.

I did not turn off the ice maker prior to the move and do not know if the water in the tray was frozen during the move. I mention this only because it is the only thing that I can associate with the change in operation in the freezer. Reefer continues to hold selected temp. I found the vents in the freezer plugged with ice and removed it. The temp went down to 12 overnight but during the day yesterday and last night it went back up to 14 rather than continuing on down to the preset temp of 0 degrees. Do you think there could be some ice formed in some place it should not be. I have not totally defrosted the unit. For that, it would take about a full day and I have it almost full of food. It seems that the partial removal of the frost/ice I removed did help for a period of a day or so. Back to you.

Relist: Other.
I need this info as soon as I can get it as the temp is slowly rising in the freezer and I would like to save the frozen food if possible
Shift it over to LP mode and see if it makes any difference. And have you had the LP pressure at the tank regulator checked and adjusted in the last year? Do you have a small digital multimeter for some testing?
About $15 or so at most automotive or hardware stores and easy to use. That will be how we track this down. And one last thing.....is the fridge facing the sun or in the shade?

It ran most of yesterday on LP during a power outage and held the same temp all day (39 or refer & 16 freezer). Have not had gas pressure checked but due to cold weather, have had both furnaces and my wife cooked breakfast using 2 stove burners at the same time with no yellow flame. Doubt low pressure. I do have a digital multimeter and know how to use it. Was trained as an electrician by the Navy and have used that knowledge all my life. I understaned 3 phase 440 and some electronics including diodes, caps and etc. I am going to defrost this unit today even though it is supposed to be an auto-defrost. The timer is set. It did make a couple of trays of ice yesterday and last night. Just really slow due to the freezer temp. Camping World tech told me the ice maker would not work until the temp approached 0.Can you pull this model up on the internet and look at page 16 "service mode" for technicians? Should I do this test. I do not want to lock something up without knowing how to undo it. Okay, back to you, Thanks Charlie

Additional info: Turned unit off and removed all food from freezer this afternoon. Found ice formed in vent holes of cover that surrounds the cooling fins. Once I melted with ambient air and could look in, found the bottom of the fins covered with ice. Used air (hair dryer with no heat) to melt that as well. Took several hours to remove it all. When I turned back on, noticed that fan was not working. Not sure when it is programed to turn on.

Have it back in service. Will see what it cools to tonite.

Relist: Other
As I have repaired myself without assistance from your expert, I would like a refund of the $25. Your expert only wanted more information, to which I responded but have made the necessary repair without his guideance or assistance. Thank you for trying. Olen C. Akins
RV Mechanic: russell-cssm,
 replied 8 years ago
russell-cssm
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at [email protected] and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.com/rv-motorhome/88kys-bought-2007-monico-knight-dometic-nda-1402-frig-freezer.html). Thank you, The JustAnswer Customer Support Team.