RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

why is my rv2012gs not charging? there was a short at the 30amp…

why is my rv2012gs not...
why is my rv2012gs not charging? there was a short at the 30amp servicepost.i replaced 4 6volt that were 6yrs old and had no water with 2 850cca 12volts. the 30amp service issue has been repaired.this is a holiday rambler endevor
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/12/2014
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 8 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi. Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Did you hook up the new batteries in parallel? And did you check the reset on the battery disconnect solenoid? It will reset to "store" when power is removed. IF you have a small digital multimeter like you can find at most automotive or hardware stores for about $15 this is usually pretty easy to track down. All follow ups are included in our fee.

batteries are in parallel and disconnect is a manual rotary switch

Those can go bad..........check to be sure that the DC volts are the same on both sides. IF the DC volts on the incoming side is over 13 VDC and lower on the outgoing side the contacts may be burnt and the switch may need replacing. Check for the output DC voltage AT the converter or inverter/charger to be sure it is working correctly. That output should be about 13.7 VDC or higher. Let me know what you find and we can go from there.

dc voltage is the same at the batt and at the converter/inverter.This converter/inverter is only appox. 6mo. old.Solid green led indicates that it is inverting,I too am a master cert.rv tech,i feel that the charging portion of the component is faulty.Charging does not start untill batt volts drops to 11.7dcv according to the component manual is this correct?

It depends on the make and model of the unit. Most wouldn't allow the voltage to drop that low before charging. What is the make and model of this inverter? And I would be curious why you would exchange out the four 6 VDC batteries for two 12 VDC units? You get quite a lot more amp hours with the golf cart batteries which is why they are used. I understand that sometimes costs enter into the equation.

I will be out for most of the day, but will check back later...........

cost was the factor for my cust.It is a xantrex rv2012gs.This the second time this cust. has had this same issue,in 2 different rv parks.The unit was replaced approx. 6mos.ago.The owners manual states that charging begins at 11.7vdc,i thought this was odd myself.Cust. is currently using an external batt.charger to maintain 12vdc sys.

Let me look it up and get back to you............but, does it ever get up to full charge or not? IF NOT, it must be defective or at least out of adjustment. Not sure just how those are calibrated.

The unit doesnot charge at all,hence the use of an external charger . I did not see any manual adj.on the inverter/converter. I thought these were intrenaly protected against shorts and automaticly adj charge voltage.

In reading the manual for this I would check first to be sure that the settings are correct for the new batteries. And then if that checks out I would check and be sure that the input voltage matches up with the specs and settings. Check that voltage and be sure you have it correct.
You mentioned a problem before that the 30 amp service has been repaired. Check to be sure that this is set up for that feed and not a 50 amp cord and specs. Hard to believe that this would be bad (again) as they make a good product and most are very reliable.

Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me with what you find. I have found sometimes that I am just not seeing the obvious on these kinds of things and have missed something simple.

The rv park they are currently in only only has 30amp service available.Unit is using a 50 to30 amp adapter.All volts are correct except for output charge voltage. What settings are you refering to? I see no adjustmrnts,should be automatic? There are no local dealers/repair centers with knowledge on the internal diagnostic ability. I wish i had a service manual for this component.And the slow blo fuse on the face is ok

Are you sure it is receiving any incoming AC power? You lose 1/2 the service when you go to an adapter as I am sure you know......but, do they? Do you have the manual for this?
IF so, look in Section 4-2 about this in "Troubleshooting" this. I had one similar on a Holiday Rambler recently where that was the problem. Also, if this has a shore cord reel it can be bad contacts there. It might read good AC voltage with a meter (no load) and yet not pass much if any current. Had that problem recently as well. Sometimes the meter won't tell you what is really happening.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

incoming ac is good 120vac this issue was corrected by the local elec.provider . I am going to eliminate the unit and temp install a 50 amp converter in order to keep the12vdc sys up .Cust,has been in contact with service center were the unit was installed they say they will replace it under warranty.I did test inverter output 120vac terminals it is only delivering 104vac with no load and 127vac with load? It looks like we were on same page with this issue.It is also hard for me to believe that it is bad but the meter does not lie

10-4

cust. will still have to go to his northern repair station because of warranty.

your efforts were great i just thought you might know about something i didnt .Idont have very many calls for this issue

You are welcome.............and please let me know if that unit proves defective or not.

lets ttalk about money. 27$/mo. is ok 1 time but i will probably not need your assistance again for a long time.I dony want to pay for this service for an extended time .how does this work?

I don't know all about that, Richard............you would have to ask Customer Service. I just answer the questions in my area.

Is there a phone # i can call for cust. serv.

Not that I know of............I did ask them to contact you. But, check the website and see what that might be.