RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2012 Fleetwood Expedition diesel 36ft. We were camping…

I have a 2012 Fleetwood...
I have a 2012 Fleetwood Expedition diesel 36ft. We were camping and we last shore power in the coach. Checked the park power in and there was L1=121v and L2= 120v. My voltage panel inside said 50 amps in 121 volts and 120 volt 0amps on both. voltage is going thru my surge protector and thru my circuit breakers but no inside power. if I turn my inverter on I have inside power. I checked all the gfci breakers. I started the generator and have the same problem. Anything come to mind?
1/11/2014
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 8 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi. Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

This is usually either the automatic transfer switch OR the shore cord reel (if you have one). Testing with a meter won't always pick up the reel problem. You can test the input and output of the transfer switch with a small digital multimeter like you can find at most automotive or hardware stores. About $15 or so and easy to use. The diagram will be in the lid. Be sure you check the INPUT to the main breakers in your load center and then OUTPUT of each breaker. IF you have a load shed system then some checks there may be needed as well. The transfer switch is the most often the problem. I would also get in touch with Fleetwood Customer Service at(NNN) NNN-NNNNand get a complete set of wiring diagrams for your coach. Very helpful to have in these situations! Be prepared to give them your FIN number as that is how they are filed.

Hope this proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.

I checked the surge protector on the in side and the out side of the box and it is 120volts on both. I have no reel. The voltage into the breakers is 120v in and 120v coming out. But nothing to the plugs or TV's and appliances.

Check the GFCI receptacles to see if they are tripped and also check the inverter/charger to be sure it isn't tripped as most of those circuits pass through there and if that isn't working those circuits will be dead.

checked the gfci receptacles they are working. If i turn on the inverter I have power to the outlets and TV's and when I shut the battery power off on the inverter I have nothing.

Do you have AC power available TO the inverter or just out of it from the DC batteries?

The ac runs on both

That is "AC power" here.........or did you mean that?

The ac is running on 30amp shore power and then it is running on the inverter from the batteries.

It can't do both at the same time...........only one AC power source can be used at a time.
DO you have AC power coming OUT of the inverter with both sources or only one?

With the shore power pluged in and the inverter is off the ac runs. With the shore power disconnected and the inverter turned on the ac will not run .

That seems to be just the opposite of what you originally stated in your question. There you said if you turned on the inverter you had power...........on the shore cord you didn't. Is that the case or not?

When I am pluged into shore power I have nothing inside the coach but the ac works. when I unplug the shore power and put the inverter on I have inside power but no ac.

I think you are confusing the A/C as in "air conditioner" with AC as in alternating current. Check to see if you have incoming AC power from the shore cord TO the inverter while plugged into shore power. IF SO, then the transfer switch isn't the problem. Then it is going to be in the inverter.

I will have to go out and see f I can take the inverter apart some what because it has 2 electrical lines going into it. so I can test them.

You should be able to take the cover off where the AC power lines attach and check for incoming power there.

I am going to check that tomorow its getting dark and drizzly right now. I will let you know what I find later.

10-4

I have 120volts going into the inverter from shore power.

And none coming out when on shore power? What is the make and model of your inverter/charger and do you have the manual for it?

I have no manual for it. I was checking the inverter for a name, make and model with a mirror because it is stuffed in the electric compartment with electic wires and battery wire along with the inverter for the refrigerator underneath the main one when I found a little white reset button. I pushed it and everyting electrical came on iside the coach.

Thanks very much for your time and help. Jimmy

That was the second response I made..........to see if the inverter reset was tripped. Not a problem though...........just glad we got you up and running again. Now you know where to look if this happens again.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Thanks for that generous bonus............much appreciated! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer.