RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2010 Baja Jayco tent trailer. I need the a lift…

I have a 2010 Baja...
I have a 2010 Baja Jayco tent trailer. I need the a lift cable and one of the guide pipes (cable tore thru the square pipe) replaced. I feel like my rv service is playing me when they charge me $300 ($100/hr) to diagnose the problem and estimate another $1000 by the time they have paid for the parts and finished this repair. They tell me it is very difficult and can't even put a limit to how many hours they might need. Is this usual? Thanks for any advice!
11/9/2013
RV Mechanic: Toby, RV Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Toby
Toby, RV Mechanic
These can be very time consuming but cannot understand why it would take 3 hours to diagnose. Also I was under the impression that Jayco had a 5 year warranty

The Jayco Co-Pilot Warranty is a manufacturer's limited warranty. It doesn't come from your dealer and it's not an extended warranty! It comes from the people who build Jayco recreation vehicles to the people who buy them. Each Jayco is warranted to the original purchaser for twenty-four (24) months from the original date of purchase against defects in materials and workmanship.

Additionally, Jayco offers to the original purchaser industry-leading lifetime parts and labor coverage on our camping trailer lifter system, roof, floor, and frame. We also offer for camping trailers five-year (5) coverage on our tent with parts, labor, and freight covered the first two years; parts, factory labor, and return freight during years three, four and five.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX not the original purchaser and I caused this by trying to lift in the dark and one corner was not completely unmatched. Would jayco cover me still??

Is there a typical range for how many hours this kind of work takes to complete? If I can't get to a reasonable price with the shop, is this something a doityourselfer can reasonably tackle?
I would start with Jayco and tell them you are original owner as it should make no difference. As far as doing it yourself that depends on how skilled you are. I can tell you this, I would not attempt it and would call other shops for a better price. Time wise it will depend on how good the shop is but I would think its a good days work.
If Jayco will cover it then do not take it to the place that charged you $300 and have them recommend another dealer a little further away.
Toby
Toby, RV Mechanic