RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I just purchase a used 1999 Roadtrek 200 Vesatile two months…

Customer Question
I just purchase a used...
I just purchase a used 1999 Roadtrek 200 Vesatile two months ago. Everything was working when purchased. Took out this past weekend for first time to test everything. Plugged in shore power for several house before leaving to cool the 3 way refrig. Seem to cool ok after several house. Arrive at camp, plugged in shore power. Monitoring panel working, test water pump on using water from tank worked ok, LED on monitoring panel shower levels of water and waste worked. Next day notice refrig on AC power was not cooling so turned on propane and worked fine. Later in the day, decided to hook up hose from city water at RV camp, turned off water pump and connected hose and every thing working. Today when I arrived home, I have now power to the LED lights on the Water Level and the water pump will not work. Not sure about refrigerator. The battery light comes on and I have lights in the gallery through out.

Can you help me trouble shoot?

I did turn off and on breakers and changes fuses.

Mac Caradine
Cotter, Ar
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: RV
10/28/2013
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 8 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi. Thank you for your question. My name is Randall and perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Start by having the house batteries load tested and clean all the cable connections including the ground lead to the chassis. And then when you know that is all good I would get a small digital multimeter and check the DC voltage output of the converter to be sure it is working properly. If this has the OEM load center it is probably a Magnetek box and those can be upgraded if the converter section fails. Or it might have a stand alone converter. The proper working voltage here is about 13.7 VDC at the fuse block. Less than about 13.1 or so will be a problem. Check those two things and then get back to me if you need for us to go further here. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Randall

thanks,

Some other facts that may help you get me the right direction. Battery is less than a month old. the other 12 v components i.e. Interior lights, stove exhaust fan and roof exhaust fan are working. If they are working would I still need to check DC voltage output on the converter? The battery indicator lights works when I turn on to use the lights and fans. Not sure where to find the converter on a Roadtrek 200?

Water pump button does not light or turn on water pump and LED Level buttons do no work to show levels of water, waste and grey water levels.

Give me your thoughs.

Even new batteries fail........so don't assume that isn't the issue here. It might not be, but the first thing we always check when electrical problems happen. Converter output next. Eliminate any obvious causes. If those check out, then take a 12 VDC test light OR meter and see if you have good DC input voltage TO the sensor panel. Rig up a ground lead for the test light or meter. I go to the load center. A long enough wire with alligator clips at both ends works. Is the pump switch there as well? And what about the fridge on AC? Did that resolve itself or is that a separate problem?

IF you don't find power INTO the monitor panel then you need to check the fuses again. Look for a loose connection there. Let me know what you find.