RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Our Atwood water heater will not light. It is a model G6A7.

Our Atwood water heater will...
Our Atwood water heater will not light. It is a model G6A7. The pilot burner lights but when you release the lighter control knob the pilot does not light. My husband has been working on this for a solid week and no luck. Please can you offer any insight as to our problem?
8/23/2013
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 9 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael, hi your waterheater uses a manual gas valve, so when you light the pilot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the thermocouple above the flame needs to heat up sufficiently to hold the gas valve open in the pilot mode,,,,,,,,then if working properly you then turn on the main burner..............So is the situation that the pilot does light when gas valve pilot safety valve is pressed,,,,,,,yet goes out when released? Or does the pilot stay on.......and go off when you turn the valve to ON? thanks

goes out when released

Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if the end of the thermocouple is well within the flame, and gets hot,,,,,,,,,,,this will be one of two problems..........1) the thermocouple is bad, and needs to be replaced 2) the gas valve receptor for the thermocouple is bad (unfortunately if this is the case,,,,the valve must be replaced ) I would suggest replacing the thermocouple, and see if it resolves the issue..........this will tell the tale...........Michael

We replaced the thermocouple,

Thanks if you have replaced the thermocouple and it still does not work,,,,,unfortunately the gas valve will need to be replaced to make the water heater work properly.................Michael
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician