RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Winnebago 2009 Tour 40 TD and a compressor on the…

I have a Winnebago 2009...
I have a Winnebago 2009 Tour 40 TD and a compressor on the basement a/c - heat pump unit has broken down and according to the people I bought the unit from (Cullum & Maxey in Nashville TN) this type of a/c is no longer produced and they cannot find the compressor anywhere (it appears these are no longer produced either). What is the solution. Where can these units be found.
8/14/2013
RV Mechanic: tonicbigal, RV Tech - Mobile replied 9 years ago
tonicbigal
tonicbigal, RV Tech - Mobile
Experience: 5 yrs prof schooling;attend RV Troubleshoot Clinics 2012,2013; spec exp 96-00 FLTW Disc; exp finding parts. Finding and reading Winne Diag; RV Window refurb; tankless water heater systems;
Yes these units are problematic when they fail. They are nothing more than an house hold unit. You can not substitute another unit. What I can offer to start since you are in TN to contact www.visonerv.com and see if they have a winnebago product line with a similar match. If you up to a road trip these folks next to the factory may be of help. Www.lichtsinn.com should be in a position to offer solutions and repair. Pulling or repairing the basement unit can be a pricey adventure without a warranty plan. I have helped some folks find alternatives for repair to include putting ac units on the roof. What I will do later this evening is send you everything I have that includes pulling the unit and replacing the compressor or repairing it and how with the help of a hungry hvac person to deal with it. The other is the instructions by other winnebago users to put roof top acs in. the heat pump part of your unit should still work out ok during the winter months so I would leave the basement unit in if you go with roof top acs. It took me a few months to find what I found on the net. I do not do the installs but help folks find someone who will. The most btu you can put on the roof because of weight is 13500. Dometic has a new unit that weighs seventy pounds. It does involve using the roof vents already in place. If this works for you it may be the cheapest of the alternatives and still have the heat pump part in place.

Please do not rate me until you are satisifed. If after calling two folks mentioned above and looking over what I send you feel it is of no help then I will opt out. If you happen to get your hands on a unit out of a salvaged vehicle it will bot hurt to have an hvac guy test it all out. These units in reality are nothing more than a house hold unit. Most rv dealers will not work on them anyway but your rv dealer may be lucky to have a resource with the two web links given. They seem willing to work on it so far. Visonerv is pretty good at helping folks. The other salvage yard you can go to is colaws salvage yard. The folks at lichtinn have been pretty good as well. I deal with the parts department.
As promised here is what I have for info. This link here is what I help folks find a vendor to install roof top mounts.. A number of people are going this route.

Now for the basement unit: Remembering is nothing more than a house hold unit. You should be able to find a compressor here as some have found an exact match. The manual how to remove the unit is here The manual for your AC unit is here The key is like has to be replaced like for the basement units otherwise it will not work with the panel system If you are on a 30 amp service it is best not to let the second compressor run as it pull too much of a load and eventually causes damage. hence why this may be the reason a lot of compressor number 2 are going.

I do not want to put you in information overload put I think right now you have enough info to go on especially after you talk to lichtsinn

Again please do not rate me until we find something that you feel comfortable will work and this info help put the plan together.
tonicbigal
tonicbigal, RV Tech - Mobile