RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

1999 Diplomat 38A. Just bought it and had no training on how…

1999 Diplomat 38A. Just bought...

1999 Diplomat 38A. Just bought it and had no training on how to hook up. Getting ready to go on first trip and hooked up to house on 110 and was only going to turn on the refrigerator to get it cold but no lights and not turning on. Turned on generator and still nothing. What am I missing? I am now at the camp site and it is hooked up to the 50 amp and still nothing. Both AC's work and so does everything else but no frig.

7/31/2013
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 9 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi There...

Need to know what is not working??? DO you have all the AC power, microwave, AC units, outlets? Are you just missing the DC power items such as the fridge, lights water pump etc....

Thanks, Robert
Everything works except no lights on frig and no power on frig. Water pump and outlets work. I also plugged a separate ext cord from an oitlet I know works and plugged in frig and still mothing.
OK

This might take some going back and forth.... Can you tell me the Make and Model of the fridge?

Thanks, Robert
1999 Monaco Diplomat 38A
Right.... Understand that what I need is the make and model of the fridge, it will be located inside the door on a sticker, it will be a Norcold or Dometic but I still need the model number.... Robert
DUH on my part. Norcold 1200LRIM.
OK

Thanks! Go to the outside access for the fridge and remove the panel........it will be on the opposite side where the fridge is located from the inside.... On the gray absorber coils look for a little black box that has wires going to it...... On that box will be a led tell me if it is ON or RED... This was part of a high temp sensor recall and if that is ON then the fridge will not work..... Not all of them got this but need to check for that....

Robert
No LED is on.
OK

Unplug the fridge, under that outside access cover should be a circuit board near the bottom, it is also a black box and has many wires going to it. Remove the cover on that box and check the fuses, one fuse is for the DC power which allows the fridge to turn ON. make sure the fuses are not blown, one is for the AC side so you want to unplug the fridge. IF the fuse is not blown then I would check for voltage on the supply wires going into the fridge, IF you have voltage then you might have a bad circuit board. IF you have NO voltage on the wires going into the circuit board check all your interior or "house fuses" as one might be blown not allowing the fridge to come ON.... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert
Ok. Very strange. I took a fuse out. A 5 amp one and not blown. Not sure which one and unplugged the frig. Was going to bed and hit power and it came on while unplugged and no fuse.
OK

You should have a DC fuse and an AC fuse. If you pulled the AC fuse the fridge most likely will come on but not work on AC power. IF you pulled the DC fuse then it can not turn on. I would unplug and put the fuse back in and see if it works, you DO NOT want to put that AC fuse back in with it plugged in, trust me.... Let me know if you need more help... IF you are sastfied with my efforts please feel free to rate my service it is the only way I get credit.....
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic