RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My dometic fridge works on electric, but not gas. Repair shop…

My dometic fridge works on...
My dometic fridge works on electric, but not gas. Repair shop looked at it and said gas pressures, etc were fine. They believe the flue has disconnected from the burner and I need a new fridge. It seems strange to me that it can't be repaired since, essentially, it still works...?
7/22/2013
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 9 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi There....

What is the model of the fridge, is it sparking and lighting and are you getting a good flame, just no cooling on LP? Please let me know the model.....

Robert
I believe it is the n323.

Yes, it works fine on electric, just not on LP. The flame is fine &, as I said, the repair shop checked the gas pressure & it was fine. They said they thought the flue had disconnected from the boiler, but they didn't seem entirely certain.

Does this seem like a reasonable diagnosis &, is it really not possible to fix it?
OK...

I am checking something out for you on N323 I will respond shortly looks like there may be a recall but want to get the fine details.... I will respond shortly....

Robert
OK
So the Norcold would be the N323... There is a recall on this fridge and this makes sense if it is not working on LP.... I would contact Norcold directly and see if this recall has been done. You can still use it on AC or DC just not LP.... Below are the details of the recall.... IF this is not the problem then it is possible something internally has failed with the flue and if that is the case I would have the fridge replaced. If you want to verify the model number please let me know if it is something else.... Robert

1998 Norcold 323 Equipment Recall 99E036000

NHTSA: Action Number: N/A Service Bulletin Number: 99E036000

• Report Date:
    Oct 18, 1999
  • Component:
    Equipment
  • Potential Units Affected:
    127035
  • Manufacturer:
    Norcold Inc.

Summary: Equipment description: gas/electric absorption refrigerators used in recreational vehicles and camping trailers. The swivel nut which is an integral connection component of a pressure tap device has "stress corrosion cracking. "

Consequence: This cracking can lead to an open fracture in the brass nut, potentially allowing propane gas to leak.

Remedy: Dealers will remove the swivel nut/pressure tap component and replace with a remedy kit.

Notes: Owner notification began november 5, 1999. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact norcold at 1-937-497-3080. Also contact the national highway traffic safety administration's auto safety hotline at 1-888-dash-2-dot (1-888-327-4236).

If it is leaking propane, how would it be possible to have normal pressures and flame?

Am I right in understanding your answer is that a malfunction in the flue cannot be repaired?
It depends on where they are checking the pressure, if it is downstream of the leak then it may be showing good but when you go to use it then it could be dropping off, something to check out. Norcold should be able to tell you if the recall has been done or needs to be done. As far as the flue canister if something failed internally then I would replace the fridge. Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Ok - thanks for your help
No problem.... I would look into the recall first just to be sure.....

Robert