RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I just bought a used RV with a 2005 Atwood G6A 8E RV Water…

I just bought a used...

I just bought a used RV with a 2005 Atwood G6A 8E RV Water Heater 6 Gal. Water tank fills, Gas flame fires off and the flame lasts about 5 minutes before shut-off. Hot tap water never heats up. When first bought the unit tried to work but water tank water source had been turned off so no water in the tank as it tried to work. Now water is in tank and no work.. Elexctric board tested and it works fine. New ECO kit installed but still no work.

7/6/2013
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 9 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael, hi when its burning is the flame nice and blue? And how did you test the board? As if the thermostat is not shutting off,,,,,,,,and the flame is burning well , the igniter being well within the flame, its the board that keeps it running........

Board was removed and taken to RV repair place that is authorized Atwood service place. They connected board to their system and said it was OK as it cycled correctly.

I did not look at flame but could hear and feel the flame working.

Its important to see if the flame is burning properly, as if it is not hot enough the control board will shut it down............

I could go look. Or assuming it is not working correctly what should I do or if it is working correctly what is the problem and correction... I could go out now and look?

If the flame is not burning correctly, a cleaning is in order......If it is,,,,,,,,,and the thermostat (which you just replaced) is sending power to the board, yet the board is shutting down prematurely the board is indeed the component that is not working properly..........Michael

describe what I should eb looking for in the way of flame

The flame should be burning clean, and nice and blue............there is an air adjustment on the burner tube, that you can slide once the retaining screw is loose if the flame is too yellow, its getting too much air and is too rich,,,,,,,,,,,so close off the vent. you can 'play' with this until its correct............

Could the fact that the water tank was empty while the system was trying to work create this problem or another problem

It could however in this instance I don't believe it has ............Michael

will a transcript of this conversation be sent to my email for printing. Thsi computer has no printer attached. So it looks like the only thing for me to try is flame adjustment? If that does not work I am dead in the water?

Thanks,,,,,,,,,the system is fairly simple,,,,,,,,,,,,power from the swich thru the thermostat,,,,,,,,,then onto the control board.................signal sent back from the flame at the igniter probe..........tells it is is on or off...........the control module stays on or shuts off accordingly..............the control module although tested, may have an internal problem, and this is most likely..............Michael

Is a copy of this converstaion sent to my email for printing

Question List|NEW Question List (beta)|PM0 |Feedback|Reports|My Questions|My Account

RV

Originating region: United StatesCategory: CarSub-category: RV

I just bought a used RV with a 2005 Atwood G6A 8E RV Water Sent to RV Experts 7/6/2013 at 12:09 PM Are you sure you want to mark this question "Suicidal Customer"? If you do, the question will be closed and an email will be sent to the customer with links and phone numbers to suicide prevention resources. Thank you for taking the time to report this. -- Report --"Best Of" JACustomer Service/RefundsDuplicate QuestionMiscategorizedOpen QuestionPersonal InfoSend to Category ModSuicidal CustomerUnder 13Underpriced

(Online) -- 0 Positive Ratings / 1 Question (1 Open) -- Deposit Made! Bookmark and Share

You are not watching. Click here to watch. Time Left: 6 days and 23 hours Status: Awaiting Expert Reply Value: $9 Source: Web Info Request7/6/2013 at 12:17 PM (7 minutes and 48 seconds later) Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael, hi when its burning is the flame nice and blue? And how did you test the board? As if the thermostat is not shutting off,,,,,,,,and the flame is burning well , the igniter being well within the flame, its the board that keeps it running........ Expert of the Month PictureMichael Reush (Online) What's This?RV
Expert's 2 + years employment history as an RV Technician with California employer was verified on or about 8/11/2009 by a leading third-party verification service.
Click here to view the Terms of Service section on verifications. RV Technician Serving the rv industry since 1977 Reply7/6/2013 at 12:20 PM (3 minutes and 37 seconds later)

(Online) -- 0 Positive Ratings / 1 Question (1 Open) -- Deposit Made!
Click here to view the Terms of Service section on verifications. Info Request7/6/2013 at 12:24 PM (3 minutes and 45 seconds later) Its important to see if the flame is burning properly, as if it is not hot enough the control board will shut it down............ Expert of the Month PictureMichael Reush (Online) What's This?RV
Click here to view the Terms of Service section on verifications. RV Technician Serving the rv industry since 1977 Reply7/6/2013 at 12:26 PM (2 minutes later)

Click here to view the Terms of Service section on verifications. AnswerSubmit this Q&A as an Expert Test Question 7/6/2013 at 12:30 PM (4 minutes and 29 seconds later) If the flame is not burning correctly, a cleaning is in order......If it is,,,,,,,,,and the thermostat (which you just replaced) is sending power to the board, yet the board is shutting down prematurely the board is indeed the component that is not working properly..........Michael

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - , please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!! Please rate my effort , so I receive payment, a BONUS would be gratefully appreciated Expert of the Month PictureMichael Reush (Online) What's This?RV
Click here to view the Terms of Service section on verifications. RV Technician Serving the rv industry since 1977 Reply7/6/2013 at 12:33 PM (2 minutes and 31 seconds later)

Click here to view the Terms of Service section on verifications. AnswerSubmit this Q&A as an Expert Test Question 7/6/2013 at 12:37 PM (4 minutes and 15 seconds later) The flame should be burning clean, and nice and blue............there is an air adjustment on the burner tube, that you can slide once the retaining screw is loose if the flame is too yellow, its getting too much air and is too rich,,,,,,,,,,,so close off the vent. you can 'play' with this until its correct............

Click here to view the Terms of Service section on verifications. RV Technician Serving the rv industry since 1977 Reply7/6/2013 at 12:39 PM (1 minute and 55 seconds later)

Click here to view the Terms of Service section on verifications. AnswerSubmit this Q&A as an Expert Test Question 7/6/2013 at 12:43 PM (4 minutes and 16 seconds later) It could however in this instance I don't believe it has ............Michael

Click here to view the Terms of Service section on verifications. RV Technician Serving the rv industry since 1977 Reply7/6/2013 at 12:46 PM (2 minutes and 20 seconds later)

Click here to view the Terms of Service section on verifications. AnswerSubmit this Q&A as an Expert Test Question 7/6/2013 at 12:49 PM (3 minutes and 24 seconds later) Thanks,,,,,,,,,the system is fairly simple,,,,,,,,,,,,power from the swich thru the thermostat,,,,,,,,,then onto the control board.................signal sent back from the flame at the igniter probe..........tells it is is on or off...........the control module stays on or shuts off accordingly..............the control module although tested, may have an internal problem, and this is most likely..............Michael

Click here to view the Terms of Service section on verifications. RV Technician Serving the rv industry since 1977 Reply7/6/2013 at 12:51 PM (1 minute and 59 seconds later)

Click here to view the Terms of Service section on verifications.
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician

FYI

The problem ultimately turned out to be:

1. Water inlet and outlet valves not fully opened.

2. Owner did not realize that high temp for thermostat was set at 140 and the low was set at 115. Unit flame kept turning off because the ambient air temp in AZ at the time was about 115! So no reason for unit gas to keep going and turn on over and over within a short period of time. and... once the flame did start heating it did not have to heat long before it hit the 140 degree temp.

Now you know and can better serve AZ customers in the summer...

Bob

Thanks for the information........Michael