RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Hi, I recently purchased a 2004 Fleetwood/ Terry 270 FQS…

Customer Question
Hi, I recently purchased a 2004...

I recently purchased a 2004 Fleetwood/ Terry 270 FQS large slide. While we've done a lot of camping over the years, this is our first travel trailer. The unit is in very good shape, and everything was functioning properly during the walk-through and after I drove it off the lot. However at our first gas stop about 2 1/2 hours later As I went inside to turn off the refridgerator, an alarm started to sound. Being new I wasn't sure what to attribute it to, and assumed it had to do with the fridge not being level. The alarm continued until we arrived at our destination, and set the unit up. During the set-up the alarm stopped, and I again assumed that it was b/c the fridge was now level.

After the weekend, we broke camp and headed home. The alarm started in again after about 1/2 hr. This time I began to look closer and found that it was an alarm on the gas leak detector, but is listed "low voltage". I found that I had left the stove hood light on, and as soon as I turned it off the alarm light changed to green and stopped. I thought I had it solved, but by the time we got home about an hour later the alarm had started again.

Now I know that when I run the trailer off of park power through the power cord there is no problem, but as soon as we try to go off batteries we have a lack of voltage. I suspect that either batteries are not charging or holding a charge, or that the power converter is not charging the batteries. I was told that the trailer is supposed to be able to run self-contained, off batteries, but with this problem that will not be an option until it's fixed.

When I bought the unit the batteries were not new but checked out to be holding a charge and discharging properly. Is it bad batteries? A bad power converter?

Am I looking in the right direction? What else should I be looking for?

Lee
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: RV
7/1/2013
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 9 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi There....

To start I would have the batteries load tested, this is the best test that can be done and most auto parts stores will do this for free.... If the batteries check out good then it could be an issue with the power converter. When you plug in the power converter will make the DC voltage and charge the battery. If you have a volt meter you should see the voltage rise when you plug in to around 13.2 volts, and then it will come down and should maintain around 12.5 volts. If the voltage is not rising then the converter is not working correctly. The only thing you might find between the converter and the battery is an auto breaker, below is a picture, some are thermal and some have a mall tab that pops out, the voltage should be the same or very close on each post. Normally they are 18" from the battery and could be mounted on the frame.
So I would really have the batteries load tested to start, make sure you mark all the wires when you removed them.....

Hope this helps IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

Auto Breaker...

Thanks Robert... I'll see what I can find out.

OK

Let me know if you still need more help, I check daily and always respond, please feel free to rate my service it is the only way I get credit..... Robert

Will do. Great job!

Every time you respond the system requires me to respond, only respond when you are ready or you can rate my service anytime if you are satisfied.......

Robert