RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have A model # XXXXX water heater in my motorhome. It

would not work on gas...
I have A model # XXXXX water heater in my motorhome. It would not work on gas or electric so I changed the electronic control module and now it woks on both. However on electric when the t-stat is satisfied the DSI fault light comes on and the water heater will not maintain hot water automatically, you have to shut off the electric remote switch and it resets then heats again ??? Could it be a faulty control module ??
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/23/2013
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 9 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael, hi the dsi fault light is for the gas ignition fault..............make sure the remote electric switch is the only one on when you operate it on electric........does this make sense? thanks

The only switch on is the electric!!! ( I have been a master electrician for 40 years and I can't figure it out that's why I asked if it could be another faulty board ??)

Still waiting for answer !!

RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 9 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. Not sure what happened to Michael on this. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Not likely.............it sounds more like the thermostat or ECO is the problem and that comes as a set. Be sure you get the correct one! Some of these look the same, but aren't. They make both AC and DC sets and they aren't interchangeable.

Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.

witch eco/tstat kit should I get the 12 volt or the or the 120 volt ? Don't forget the water heater is on electric but the gas dsi fault light is whats on and will not let the electric come back on until you shut off the electric for a few minutes then turn it back on and the water will heat again until the dsi fault light comes back on !!!

The DSI light won't come on UNLESS the LP mode is on.......but, you may have both on at the same time. That light just shows that it is going into ignition and goes off again when it lights. IF the AC is what is acting up, then you need to get the AC pair on the thermostat and ECO. If you have the later version that has just one thermostat and ECO then it will serve for both. The way to tell is if you have one or two plugs on the control board. Two plugs......one thermostat and ECO.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

The LP switch is definitly NOT on but the dsi light keeps coming on so I will try changing the t-stat and eco the boaed has two plugs so I will purchase the low voltage kit ! Thank you very much you were very helpful !!!