RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

i have an a&e dometic awning that has 1 swing arm with broken…

Customer Question
i have an a&e dometic...
i have an a&e dometic awning that has 1 swing arm with broken top bracket. i have new bracket. do i have to put cotter pins in rollertube ends to keep spring tension. i am replacing entire swing arm . thank you - ted
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: RV
6/8/2013
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 9 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi There.....

Yes you need to put something in the roller tube to keep the tension on the spring. IF the spring losses tension when you separate the arm you can get hurt. There should be a small hole in the end cap for the roller and you have to line up the holes and insert a cotter pin and that should hold the tension on. If something goes wrong and the tension comes off drop the awning, have seen people get hurt trying to catch the arm or other hardware...... hope this helps IF you have more questions please feel free to contact me...Robert