RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2005 fleetwood excursion 39s it has a freedom 458…

I have a 2005 fleetwood...
I have a 2005 fleetwood excursion 39s it has a freedom 458 inverter/charger on a Sparton Chassis. here is the problem, when it is hooked up to shore power or genarator is running, i have no indicater lights on the inverter or on the the remote inside. if your push invert on the remote or the inverter the lights come on indicating no ac power, and the go off shortly after. The RV is hooked up to 50 amp service, the AC units work washerdryer Fridge. No 110 outlets work. seems like the ac is not getting to the inverter. i have checked the breaker inside under the bed. what fuses or breakers do i need to check around the inverter box? Is there a process to reset any thing? it has a Suntronsolar - Xantrex Freedom Remote Control Panel, when you push "charge" the first 4 lights 10-12 volts light up Yellow. never does the "Ac in" light up. If you push invert the Micro and tvs will work. Where do I start ?
5/8/2013
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 9 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael, hi what you need to do is ck to see if the line to the inverter is 'hot'...........unplug the coach,,,,,,,,,,remove the cover from the inverter where the wires are connected,,,,,,,,,isolate the input wires,,,,,,,,,,,and disconnect them from the inverter,,,,,,,,,,now with a voltmeter,,,,,,,,and the wires clear of each other and the inverter,,,,,,,,,,plug the coach back in,,,,,,,,,test to see if there is 120v+- available there...........then we can go from there,,,,,,,,please let me know,,,,,thanks

the voltage measures 11.4 volts at the leads that were removed. a also checked continuity across the 120a bus fuse mounted on the wall and it showed to be good if that helps

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX need you to disconnect the ac wires to the input of the inverter, and test the voltage there,,,,,,,,,,it will tell me where the problem lies,,,,,,,thanks
Sorry excuse my ignorance! It measures 125.6 volts
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX With correct voltage going into the inverter,,,,,,,,,,and nothing comming out........The inverter is at fault............and you will need to send it to be repaired,,,,,,,,,or replace it...............

not the answer i was looking for! In your opinion is cost effective to repair it? where would i send it? looks a new one is around $1000.00

thats a very valid question,,,,,,,,repair is aprox 50% the price of the unit...........And the beauty of replacing,,,,,is you receive full factory warranty..........As far as who to send it to,,,,,,,,,,,,I live in Quartzsite Az. and during the 'season (which is over) ' there is a shop in town...........However, I have no doubt that there are others closer to you...Another thought is that this unit is very heavy,,,,,,,,And freight to and from can make it cost prohibitive................Michael
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician

ok, i gave you a excellent rating.... one last question are you pretty positive that it is the inverter? I would really hate to spend 1200.00 and that not be the problem.

I've done many, many inverter repairs/replacments,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and yes it is indeed the inverter,,,,,,,,,,,,,and that is indeed a very valid question, as it is a bunch of money....................thanks..........Michael

thanks

your welcome,,,,,,,,,,Michael