RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a new RV with a Dometic refrigerator. It is not getting…

We have a new RV...
We have a new RV with a Dometic refrigerator. It is not getting cold even though we have trurned it on. Any ideas
3/28/2013
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 9 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There...

Can you get me the model of the Dometic?

Thanks, Robert

DM2852 RBX

OK

Sounds like you tried AC power first. Go to the back of the fridge and remove the access cover. Feel the are where the heater is going into the stack on the right hand side, with it on AC power it should be hot to the touch, now feel the absorber coils, they should be very warm from top to bottom. IF the heater is hot and the coils are cool you could have a blockage or failed cooling unit. I know this is brand new but it can happen. IF the heater on the burner is cool check the thermo fuse which will below that heater, make sure it is not popped out. Also the thermistor could be at fault. The thermistor will plug into the control board the other end is in the fridge under the slider that you move. If you remove the plug it should default to full cold. I have a feeling that if it is running on both AC power and you have good flame and it is not cooling it will have to go to a shop, this should be covered under warranty and if you take to much apart you can void that. Also make sure the fridge is level, if it is not level I would shut it off re-level it and wait a few hours before turning on. Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

Will check the things above. The freezer in the top of the fridge seems to be working, just not the fridge. It is kind of cool, but not cold enough to keep food good. Does this help you any?

The freezer will always freeze or should before the fridge gets cool, under a failed cooling unit the freezer will get cold and not the fridge. Normally in the shop we plug them in overnight run them on AC power and then check in the morning to see if they cool. I do not think this is a simple problem and with it being a 2012 it should get checked out under warranty. Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic