RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My water heater in my travel trailer keeps tripping the braker…

My water heater in my...
My water heater in my travel trailer keeps tripping the braker when run on electric but will run on gas.I t just started doing this yesterday.
3/21/2013
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 9 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There....

Is this tripping the breaker on the main breaker panel inside the RV? What is the make and model of the water heater?

Thanks, Robert

it is tripping the main braker on the inside I t is atwood

OK

Most likely the AC heating element inside the water heater is bad, they will do this when they are shorted out. IF you have a volt meter you can do some testing. Sometimes when you access the wires for the element they will look burned up. The heating element will be on the back side of the water heater where the plumbing lines run in and out of the tank. Sometimes access is difficult and you have to remove a panel or drawer from inside the RV. The heating element will bolt or screw in. IF you have to replace it then I would soak it with penetrating oil as they could be difficult to get out. Click HERE and see page 14 it will show you both types and how to test it. IF you do not see the link or have any other questions please let me know... Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic