RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The light fixture over the dining table in my cougar fifth…

The light fixture over the...
The light fixture over the dining table in my cougar fifth wheel is hanging loosely. How can I fix it?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/3/2013
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 9 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Can you tell if it is loose from the mounting OR is the mounting loose from the ceiling?
It's mounted to the top of the slide out, and ot seems to be just hanging loose there. There doesn't seem to be a mounting of some sort to which it's attached. I was hoping for an answer before we started traveling, not wanting to cause any damage further to the lamp or the interior of the fifth wheel. We're at a campground now, so I can reply.
Take a closer look at it. The fixture has to be secured in some fashion to the ceiling. The most common is that you have a J-box and the fixture attaches to that. OR it might be a strap connected to the ceiling and then a small pipe screws into that and the wiring passes up through that. Pretty much like most residential fixtures. If you can attach a photo to your post that would help OR post one to a free site like PhotoBucket and send me a link.

Once I know this I can give you more on how to re-attach it.
I can see 2 slender screws dropping out of the ceiling. I can't get to them -- the globe and rim are in the way; and I don't know how to get the globe off.
The globe should be held in place with some small set screws along the edge that are parallel to the ceiling. Back those out and it should release. There should be three of them. Once you have that off you should be able to see the screws holding the light fixture to the ceiling. Let me know if those are wood screws or machine screws and we can go from there.
Randall, I fixed it. Your advice was helpful. Thanks. Jim
Great! Please get back to me if you need more here. And please don't forget to rate my help on this question. Be safe!
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification