RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

i have a elixir 45 converter charger, i have my trailer powered…

i have a elixir 45...
i have a elixir 45 converter charger,
i have my trailer powered by a 120 generator to a battery charger to my battery. i have sufficient dc power but no ac. when battery is fully charged should i have ac power from this set up or not?
2/9/2013
RV Mechanic: tonicbigal, RV Tech - Mobile replied 9 years ago
tonicbigal
tonicbigal, RV Tech - Mobile
Experience: 5 yrs prof schooling;attend RV Troubleshoot Clinics 2012,2013; spec exp 96-00 FLTW Disc; exp finding parts. Finding and reading Winne Diag; RV Window refurb; tankless water heater systems;
With the method you are using the gene to charge the battery your system is only going operate the 12 volt items. You need to have an inverter set up to drive the AC outlets and they need to be hooked electrically to the inverter. Inverter units are generally found in the motorhome world. What you could do is get 400 watt or better ( not more than 800 watts) inverter at the auto store and hook it to the battery and place that inverter in the rv and at least you will be able to charge cell phones and run a laptop. The 400 watt inverter will run a laptop fine and maybe charge one or two mobile devices. It will be fine for one 12 volt battery as long as you are keeping it charged. Your TV and radio system may be set to run off the battery system. Most RVs are.
Dug this up to help you understand also - When you plug your RV into an electrical source, or when you use the onboard generator, the converters job is to reduce 120 volts AC down to 12 volt DC to supply power to all of the 12 volt appliances and accessories in the RV. If you weren’t plugged into an electrical source your RV battery(s) would supply the power to all of the 12 volt appliances and accessories in the RV. The converter basically prevents your RV battery(s) from draining when you’re plugged in.

Hope this help you. If you are satisfied with the response I would appreciate a positive rating
tonicbigal
tonicbigal, RV Tech - Mobile
RV Mechanic: RIP ROBERT, R.V. TECH & MECHANIC replied 9 years ago
RIP ROBERT
RIP ROBERT, R.V. TECH & MECHANIC
Hi, I really hate to jump in on an other expert, but to access, your generator Is supplying 120 ac power which is powering the converter, you say that none of the other ac outlets work. What make & model generator do you have?

Honda 1000

its not that the outlets aren't getting power, witch there not, but the feed to the ac beakers aren't either.

when generator is running lights dim when heat and other appliances are applied

the honda 1000 probably not applying enough watts to the battery charger to keep up when running appliances and heater. If the battery has some age on it and or battery water is low it will take longer for the battery to recovery. If you want you can add a second 12 volt battery in parallel but they need to be of the same age. That will give you more to work with with the honda 1000. The honda 2000 that can be daisy chained would do better. Also you could hook two together and plug the trailer in directly. As you have questions please feel free to continue to ask

so the ac still should have no power even to the breaker, off this system

of power. it would take a direct plug into the trailer from the ac 120 power

Yes that is correct. How the system is designed. Feel free to continue to ask questions.
Thought you might like this info. As a replacement for the Honda the Honda EU2000i generator which can be daisy chained with another Honda EU2000i to give 4000 watts to hook your RV into. Many travel trailers use this unit and this combination on 30 amp travel traveler systems and some Class Bs. Here is a power chart to review. The Honda EU2000i will also be enough to charge the batteries from the on board charger/converter. What I suggest to folks when you first hook into shore power the battery charging will pull a lot amps when first hooked to shore power and or generator service if not fully charged. I suggest to folks to choose their priority the first 90 minutes or so when you first are shore power or generator. Again feel free to email further.