RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Onan Generators (RV QG 5500 LP). Im looking for an enclosure…

Onan Generators (RV QG 5500...
Onan Generators (RV QG 5500 LP). I'm looking for an enclosure or other “sound deadening” options for this generator. I am planning to install this in an RV, and I want it to be as quite as possible. I’ve seen different enclosures / baffling boxes, blankets, etc. But, not for this application. Are you aware of any options / vendors / web sites I can refer to. I’m looking for a 10+ db drop at least. I’m not sure how much space I have to play with at this point (since I haven’t selected my 5th wheel unit yet).
1/25/2013
RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 9 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?
.

It is in the title, and optional information ?? and the begining sentence..

Optional Information:
Year: 2013
Make: Onan
Model: RV QG 5500 LP

5.5 HGJAB- 1270

RV QG5500LP is not a model number. It is a family series that encompasses several different models.
I need the actual model number of your genset, exactly as it is written on the data label.
.

As this is a generic question. I haven't purchased any model yet.

I'm looking for a genset I can install in a 5th wheel. I can keep quiet.

If you know of a better model, or better option, I'm all ears.

The vendor "Artic Fox" installs a Onan 5500 watt unit, From Onan's web site I got this information. Not from them. Ideas Please :)

That's still not the full model number, but it is close enough - I know which set this is now.

This set does not have any type of optional enclosure available. It is already a very quiet set - even under full load.
No, it is not as quiet as most Yamaha's, but there is not much else you can do to quiet it down.
The cover already has sound deadening insulation installed.

The only thing that would be quieter than this set, in Onan, would be a diesel set - but you are looking at a lot more money then.

Please remember to rate me 3 or higher, or reply to me if you need further help.

I have seen "tool box" enclosures in pickups than contain gensets, sound deadening, fuel, etc. I was hoping for that or a “blanket” box option, etc to knock this down 10+ db’s back to the inverter unit I have. Sounds like, no options???

The 'boxes' you see in pickups and utility trucks are for a completely different style of genset, that has virtually no sound proofing at all, other than a muffler. These sets are typically pretty loud.

But the HGJAB is already designed with a full enclosure, to make it much quieter than the older sets.
I would not recommend wrapping the set itself, as it will only hold in heat.

But when installing a genset in a 5th wheel, a box must be built to completely isolate the genset from the interior - this is code.
There would be nothing wrong with attaching some type of foam or fiber sound retardent to the outside sirfaces of the box, although I doubt it will really do much to quiet the genset. This thing is pretty quiet the way it is.

Please rate me 3 or higher, or reply to me if you need further information.

Thanks,

I understand your answer.

Since the RV in question allows for factory installed Onan unit of 5500 watt LP.

Is there any other option / vendors out there I should research....

and purchase after I receive my unit (not purchased at this time)

Honestly, if it is set up and wired for an Onan, I would go with the Onan.

But another option is to go with Generac - but it would require some wiring and mounting modifications.

Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets