RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Help! Im in NE pennsylvania, 8" of snow and the furnace has…

Help! I'm in NE pennsylvania...
Help! I'm in NE pennsylvania, 8" of snow and the furnace has stopped working. suspect thermostat, zone 1 has blank screen?
12/27/2012
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 9 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Do you have a 12 VDC test light OR a small digital multimeter for some testing? And does the rest of the thermostat work or can you tell? And do you have a part number for the thermostat as they make this in several versions? You should have a manual that came with the trailer that shows how to do a system reset on this. Be sure that the LP tanks are nearly full as when they get low they won't boil off enough LP vapor sometimes.

Turn on the stove top and turn a burner up on high. Do you see any yellow/orange in the flame tips or does the flame "dance" up and down on the burner? That is a sign of low LP pressure and the tank regulator may need to be adjusted or replaced. This can cause the furnace not to function.

Get back to me with this information and I can get you more here.

I do have a small multi meter, zone 2 seems to be working fine...heat pump on zone 2 came on for 45 minutes or more but has shut down now, I presume due to the outside temp, but thermostat screen still working on zone 2, blank on zone 1. Part#(NNN) NNN-NNNN Plenty of propane, 120 gal tank and cookstove flames are good

You may be correct in the thermostat going bad. Go and CLICK HERE, David for a copy of the trouble shooting for this model. Try doing a reset. That instruction is in there. If that doesn't work check the connections in the ceiling box to the furnace. Those may be loose. Most are a wire nut or cap crimp. The leads to the furnace are a red and white bell wire usually in a brown housing. In a pinch you can hook up a heat only thermostat there to get the furnace to work. Those thermostats are about $15 or so at Ace Hardware or similar place. You might want to pick up one of those oil filled radiator style heaters while you are there. Very effective and they don't cost much to operate. I heated my whole 5th wheel with one during the winter at temps in the 20s.

Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee. No limit as to time or number of responses.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification