RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Suburban Water heater SW6DE. The problem is when…

Customer Question
I have a Suburban Water...
I have a Suburban Water heater SW6DE.
The problem is when the electric heating element toggle switch on the heater it self is on and the propane switch is on , now I use the the hot water the I can tell the electric element is working but the red indicator light on the propane switch is illuminates and stays illuminated then after approx 10 minutes the propane burner will then fire up. If I turn off the electric element toggle then use the hot water the propane burner will fire up directly the red propane indicater light never illuminates. Can anyone give me a simple explanation???
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: RV
12/6/2012
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 9 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael, hi the red light, does not have anything to do with the electrical operation...........It does however when depressed turn on the red light,,,,,,,,,,and shuts off the red light, when the water heater 'lights' on gas.........................Now , if the water is already hot due to the electric element already having heated the water,,,,,,,,,the gas operation will not function until the temp drops,,,,,,,,,,then the red light goes off,,,,,,,,,and the gas is lit..........does this make sense?????? Please let me know and I'll expand on the operation, with other words,,,,,,,,,,,,so we are of like minds.........thanks........Michael

Michael,

My confusion is. To be of like minds. If the electric and the propane are both on. do they both heat the water at the same time or does only the electric operate first then the propane heat side .

Thank you,,,,,,,,you can indeed use gas and electric at the same time,,,,,,,,each has its own thermostat to shut off the 'heat source'''''''''''The electric AND the gas will heat togeather,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And this is not dangerous,,,,,as I said each has its own thermostat which independently shut off the heat sourse be it gas flame or electric element.........One does not lock out the other