RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

In 2011, I bought a used 2004 Itasca Meridian 36G, vin 4UZAAHAK94CM57146,

from Camping World in Syracuse...
In 2011, I bought a used 2004 Itasca Meridian 36G, vin 4UZAAHAK94CM57146, from Camping World in Syracuse, NY. Its problem is that it will trip a GFI breaker whenever I plug th main power line into one. This occurs at every campsite I have been to and also at my home where I had a licensed electrical contractor install a 50 amp service that was ground faulted, so I could leave the motorhome plugged in when not in use. i just had another contractor here checking the system out. After 2 hours of trying to pinpoint the problem by testing each of the neutral and ground wires in the transfer box, with no luck, he feels that the problem might be in the transfer box which is an ATS 5070, type 1. I am also wondering that due to its age, maybe the electrical system's design was not made to use a GFI system with it. Again, this is not the GFI outlets in the home, its the main 50 amp line used to plug the home into a 50 amp source. All outlets in the motorhome have been tested to ensure correct polarity. Thanks for any help in this matter. Dan.
11/29/2012
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 10 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There.....

Where is this GFI located? In the Bathroom? OR is this is the main breaker panel.....

Thanks, Robert

OK, the problem is somewhere in the electrical system of the motorhome. When I get to an RV place and try to plug into their electrical system, it immediately trips their GFI system and I can not plug into their electrical hook ups. I also have a 50 amp system at my home that when it was initially installed, a GFI breaker was used. Again, when I tried to plug into the GFI protected circuit, it immediately trips. The GFI breaker was replaced by a regular circuit breaker which works fine. The problem is that all RV parks are required to have GFI style hook ups which I can use.

OK

Got it the supply pole is blowing the GFI.... One thing I have seen over and over is when the electric heating element in the water heater goes out it can do this. I think what I would do if it has not been done is shut all the breakers down before plugging it in, if it blows right away then it could be an issue with the shore cord, or that transfer switch, I can provide you some prints if you like? This will allow you to follow the path of the AC power, there are hidden connection points all over. The first thing I would have done is isolate the breakers and then start turning them on one at a time. I would think a good RV repair shop would be able to troubleshoot this as it can be time consuming. The water heater is just something I have seen from my experince over the years and may not be the problem, kind of difficult to troubleshoot not in person, also make sure that cord has not been modified that could be an issue. IF you would like some prints please let me know... Robert

yes, send me the prints you mentioned.

Click HERE and HERE this should help.....

Robert

would it help to first pull the electric heating element from the hot water tank to see if its bad?

It would not hurt, shut the breaker off (or isolate AC power, unplugged inverter off) and disconnect the wiring, make sure you check for power first, the heating element will be located on the back side of the water heater, from my experince sometimes when the element goes out it will melt the wires in the junction box that lead to the water heater, this creates a dead short. Of course the water heater would not work on electric but would on LP so if the water heater is working on electric then may be OK but would be a big red flag if it is not working, hope this makes sense..... Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic