RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My rv doesnt ignite. The fan works. I cleaned some leads…

Customer Question
My rv furnace doesnt ignite...

My rv furnace doesnt ignite. The fan works. I cleaned some leads inside the outer door panel. A/C breaker tripped, turned back on. Now frig isn't working (electric option), nor does the a/c fan of a/c turn on. I checked the breaker outside on the main 30 amp plug in, ok. All breakers inside rv are on and not tripped. 1997 Jayco Eagle RV, Excalibur 8500-III series furnace, Norcold frig. Interesting that when I unplugged the cord from the furnace to the outlet within my outer heater hatch, the unit sparked and lit the gas, but the furnace did not ignite, and blew cold air.  When I plugged the cord back into the exterior hatch outlet, the flame turned off. Now AC and Frig are off, all breakers are on. Thanks

Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: RV
11/12/2012
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 9 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is Randall and perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

This will take a small digital multimeter to track down. Those can be found at most automotive or hardware stores for about $15 or so. I would also have the batteries load tested if that hasn't been done lately as all these appliances work of 12 VDC controls and if the batteries are gone or failing it can cause a host of problems like this. We can check the converter as well with the meter to be sure the charging is at the proper rate.

Get back to me when you are ready to do some testing.

Randall,

Thank you,

Yes, just purchased the RV, batteries (2) are weak, need to replace I guess. All systems worked this morning except the furnace. I will purchase a digital multimeter and get back to you, thanks.

That is the problem about 80% of the time, Mike........don't scrimp. Get some good ones and mark the cables and the orientation of the batteries so you get them hooked up back up the same way. Easy to get it wrong if you don't. Then get back to me if you still need some help and we can go from there.

Hi Randall,

New batteries, hooked up right. Turns out my frig/ac issue was a 15 amp fuse, but the problem of my furnace not igniting is the same. When I unplug the 3 prong electric cord from my furnace circuit board, it ignites and stays lit (I think this is the pilot), it has auto ignition. But no main gas is supplied to burn from the pilot. I have read something about a sensor that is above the pilot in the burn chamber that senses heat from the pilot that turns on the main gas? When I plug back in the electric cord to the board, the pilot turns off. Strange

What is the make and model number of your furnace? Are you taking about disconnecting the shore cord when you say "3 prong electric cord" here?

Excalibur 8500-III series hydro flame furnace. Rv is 1997.

Inside the door/hatch on the outside of the RV where all of the electronics and propane lines/jets/igniter is there is an electrical outlet (such as the microwave plugs into in the adjacent interior cabinet). There is what looks like a 110 volt cord, and plug that the furnace plugs into. It plugs into the 110 v outlet inside that hatch. When I unplug it, like unplugging a light from its wall outlet, it sparks and ignites the pilot/igniter. After this happens, it continues to provide gas to the starter, but there is a larger gas line I think where the main gas for the burner comes in. No gas comes in, so the furnace does not ignite, only the igniter ignites. When I plug this cord back in to its outlet, the pilot/ignitor shuts off. Like a wiring issue, not sure. I understand it is tough to troubleshoot via this forum. Thanks for your help. I can even send you money if we can solve this and give you maximum rating. Thanks again, Mike

That furnace has no 110 AC cord so I don't know what that would be for sure that you are describing. That furnace works only on 12 VDC. Are you unplugging the converter that charges the batteries? The furnace has a 12 VDC control board in it that produces the spark for ignition. It is located on the extreme left hand side once you open the outside inspection cover. Any chance you can attach a photo of this to your post? That might help.

Thanks Randall, I will attach a photo tomorrow am if this forum permits. Have a good evening, and thanks again. You sure earn your $.. Mike

In case I cant attach a photo, can I send one to you another way? Yes, the board is on the extreme left.

You can post some to a free site like PhotoBucket and send me a link........and yes, we do considering we don't get paid for all questions we answer.