RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 10 gal. Atwood Gas/elec water that heats the water…

I have a 10 gal...
I have a 10 gal. Atwood Gas/elec water that heats the water to almost boiling on both gas and elec. It gets so hot the relief valve lifts. There is no temperature adjustment on this heater. How can I get the water temperature down?
9/21/2012
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 10 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

OK

This is kind of an odd issue to have. You are correct no way to limit the temperature as the water heater has a set temp of 140F.... A safety device is installed and is preset to 170F. These are on both the LP and AC side. So for both of them to fail would be strange. What I would do since they are very cheap is replace the LP ones and see if you still have the same issue, The Tstat and ECO will sit on the tank and you can access them under the outside cover. They will be 2 small discs that should be sitting flush on the tank.

Also if the relief valve is always going off I would restore the air pocket in the tank.....

PRESSURE-TEMPERATURE RELIEF VALVE
Weeping or dripping of a pressure-temperature relief valve while the water heater is running DOES NOT mean it is defective. This is normal expansion of water as it is heated in the closed water system of a recreation vehicle. The Atwood water heater tank is designed with an internal air gap at the top of the tank to reduce the possibility of weeping and dripping. In time, the expanding water will absorb this air. To replace the air follow these steps:
Step 1: Turn off water heater
Step 2: Turn off incoming water supply
Step 3: Open the closest hot water faucet in the coach
Step 4: Pull handle of pressure-temperature relief valve straight out and allow water to flow until it stops.
Step 5: Allow pressure-temperature relief valve to snap shut, turn on water supply and close faucet.

Most RV shops have a tester for testing the control board, it could be the control board is not sensing the T Stat and Eco. Pull the connector off the control board and clean the contacts on the board really good with a pencil eraser.....Make sure all your wiring looks good.

Hope this helps some, IF you still need help please get back to me with the full model number of the water heater..... Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

I have ordered a new eco/tem and a new temp/relief valve. After putting an air space in the heater, the valve leaked when the water temp was about 120 degrees. Thank you for your help.