RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Servel S 620 R/v fridge in my 1990 Starcraft travel…

I have a Servel S...
I have a Servel S 620 R/v fridge in my 1990 Starcraft travel trailor. The freezer, above the fridge and separate from the fridge, easily freezes water, and keeps frozen food frozen. However, the lower fridge part of the unit, while it DOES cool, only gets down to around 51 degrees. Not cold enough to keep food from spoiling. I had it looked at by a Tech, and they said the eyebrow board and cooling unit were bad, and parts were no longer available, and the entire fridge should be replaced. Why would I get perfect cooling in the freezer, and poor cooling in the fridge at the same time if the cooling unit isn't working? Why is the freezer working perfectly? And I have yet to get either the freezer or fridge to cool on gas. What is my next step? Thank you!
9/20/2012
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

First be sure that the fridge is level. And parts are available. This may be a thermister or a control board issue. If you have a small multimeter like you can find at most automotive or hardware stores we can do some easy tests and track this down. Those are about $15 or so and come with instructions. A digital readout version is best for most folks. Get back to me when you are ready for some testing and we can see what the problem is.

The unit is definitely level. I will go get a multi meter tomorrow and get back with you. Thanks! By the way, what does the "Thermistor" do? I just have a strong hunch that this is a simple problem that can't figure out. Thank you!

The thermister controls the temperature............I will be out for part of the day on a Service Call but will check in from time to time.

Randall- I had left the Fridge/ freezer on, of course, on electricity, overnight. It has been on, on AC current, for 48 hours straight. The Freezer, again, is ice cold- no problems. Today, when I checked the temp on the fridge, it was down to 48 degrees. ( Yesterday, and a couple of times before, it only got down to 51 degrees). My camper sits in a highly shaded area, very level, and about every other day, I open an extra window and leave 2 portable fans running to keep it aired out. It seems the longer I turn on the fridge on, on AC current, before opening the Fridge door, the cooler it gets. But my portable temp gauge says 48 degrees still allows food to spoil. Since the freezer is fine, and now the fridge cooled down to 48 degrees, should that be cold enough in the fridge to keep unfrozen food from spoiling, in a camper? Heck, I dunno. Also, the portable temp gauge I set on the shelf to see the temp in the fridge- , I put it at the rear of the fridge, right next to the coils, which are chilled. So I figure it should be a little cooler that 48 degrees there. But the gauge still reads in the Red "spoiled food" warning zone. Also, I did pick up a Multi- meter from Lowe's, this morning, as you suggested. ( And even figured out how to work it). One more thing, sir. Last night, I put a can of ice cold soda, in a open metal container filled with ice, and set it in the rear of the fridge. When i checked the can of soda about an hour ago, of course all the ice had melted ( it was in the fridge, not the freezer), but the melted water was fairly cold, and the drink was cool enough to enjoy by not throwing ice in it. Still, the drink wasn't as cold as I thought it should be, but heck, if I want a canned drink ice cold, ( or a beer), I'll throw it in a cooler of ice. It's spoiled food that I am concerned about in the Fridge compartment, especially when when my wife and i start to take some long trips. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX no hurry on a response. I "ain't going nowhere". My mom is coming into town today and my wife left me strct instructions to clean the house. Thanks again, Randal! Oh, and one more thing. On the temperature setting at the top of the exterior of the fridge freezer, I have always had it set to the max...fridge just doesn't cool that much, it seems. At least no lower than 48- 51 degrees.

Go and CLICK HERE for a copy of the Servel Service Manual. See section 4.6 on testing the thermister. That would be the first thing to test here. Follow that instruction and let me know what you find. THEN leave it unplugged off the control board and report back on the temp change if any. All follow ups are included in our fee. No limit as to time or number of responses.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Thanks, Randall. I'll try that and get back to you tomorrow. I have read section 4.6.

Check the thermister and then leave it unhooked from the control board and the fridge should just about freeze.