RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Norcold mode 1200 LRIM in our motorhome, 2002 Alfa.

Customer Question
We bought the MH in...
I have a Norcold mode 1200 LRIM in our motorhome, 2002 Alfa. We bought the MH in May, 2012 and have problems with the refrigerator and have had since we took delivery.
1. The freezer will freeze water, but performance of the refrigerator section varies from poor to bad.
2. We have only had the MH for 3 1/2 months and the refrigerator has never performed as we would expect.
We took it to Concord Coach and they relocated the thermister on the fins and said that would correct the problem, but that had no affect on the problem. Temperature in the refrigerator varies from 40 up to 50 degrees.
We ordered a new thermister and installed it with no improvement.
Today we took the unit to the Norcold repair shop in Richmond and described the problem. He checked the door seals and found they were acceptable. Then asked if we operated it off level for long periods of time. No we have not, but we have only had it for a few months. Then he asked if we ever heard the fans running. Our answer was no, we did not know there were fans in the unit. He talked with the Norcold tech several times during the day and we ended up removing the refrigerator to access the fans and the thermostat that is fastened to the top of the coils on the back of the unit. At that point Joe (the repairman) said our problem should be solved. They checked wire continuity and switching of the thermostat and everything appeared to be in order.
We drove the MH back home and parked and leveled it where it is hooked up to 110 volt. That was about 5 hours ago. Temperature inside the refrigerator is about 55 degrees. The freezer is cool but there is water in an ice cube tray that has not frozen yet. It may be a little early to expect the water to freeze completely.
I cannot hear any fans running.
Do you have any suggestions? Would appreciate any suggestions or help. We have lost a good part of the summer as we're hesitant to go far without a reliable refrigerator.
Thanks for your help. George, Martinez, CA (SF Bay Area)
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: RV
9/5/2012
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is Randall and perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Does it make an difference as to the mode of cooling? And did they check to be sure that the LP pressure at the tank regulator was correct AND check both heating elements to be sure they were in spec? Is this installation in a slide out or not? Get back to me with this information and I can assist you further.

Performance on LP seems to be slightly less than on AC. Flame pattern is good.

The refrigerator is not in a slideout.

The heating assembly is warm to the touch (through the insulation) in either mode. There is noticeable heat flow through the roof vent. But, I cannot hear the fans running.

How did they determine if the fan problem was resolved? You should be able to remove the outside inspection cover and put your ear to the opening and hear them. They are like oversized computer fans. Also check and tell me how much space you have between the cooling unit coils and the outside wall of the coach. This space needs to be less than 1/4" for maximum cooling. Did they test both heating elements or do you know? And did they check the LP pressure at the tank regulator?

I cannot hear the fans either from the access door on the outside or from inside. When the fans were operating with the refrigerator removed and setting on the floor of the coach, they were loud enough that even I should be able to hear them from the access door on the outside.
They did not check both heating elements. We did not connect to 110 volt at the shop so it was the LP phase of operation throughout this test. We did not test the pressure either, but the flame pattern seems good and the technician said it was good.

There is probably more than 1/4 inch clearance between the coils and the outside wall of the coach.

The space between the outside wall and the coils varies from 1/2 to 1 inch, as near as I can tell. There is a wood block right at the top of the bottom vent space and that is the closest to the bottom coils. From there up the space is probably around 1 inch.

Without testing they can't know if it is good or not. As long as the space is about 1/4" or less where it starts that is the main thing. The air has to go up through the center of the coils and not around the outside. The heating elements can be tested with a multimeter and the LP pressure should be set with a manometer. I have seen a number of these where the control board was the problem. Is this the OEM board?

As far as I know, it is the original board, but we have only had the unit since May of this year. We will have the coach back at Concord Coach when we get an appointment and I'll ask them to check and set the pressure.

They need to find out why the fans aren't coming on as well.